Quick Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angus MacDonald

Reaction score
As the title states, I have a quick wee yeast question. Currently I am using Youngs Multipurpose Yeast, which is a strain of saccharomyces cerevisiae. However I'm starting to run low and I plan on making more cider and cider like fruit booze. So the question: What yeast strain/brand would you recommend for medium dry - medium cider/fruit booze.

As the title states, I have a quick wee yeast question. Currently I am using Youngs Multipurpose Yeast, which is a strain of saccharomyces cerevisiae. However I'm starting to run low and I plan on making more cider and cider like fruit booze. So the question: What yeast strain/brand would you recommend for medium dry - medium cider/fruit booze.
My personal fav is S04....fermented in the mid-low 60s. It is easy to cold crash, has very solid lees & produces a very clear & smooth cider [emoji41] I'm a semi-sweet fan...so I start my reg ciders in the 1.063ish range...and cold crash in the 1.015ish range. My typical fermentation is 7days. Within those parameters my end product has a smooth appley taste & aroma.....then I flavor condition with various 100% fruit juice concentrates, cinnamon sticks, etc. No chemicals ever used.

Cheers & good luck [emoji111]

Last edited:
Nottingham is also a popular choice for cider. I've tried a half-dozen yeasts, and it's my favorite so far.

Back