Quick wort cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoPackGo

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to cool a gallon of wort from ~210F to 70F as quickly as possible. The wort will be contained in an aluminum can, about the size of a paint can. I had been thinking of placing the can in a styrofoam cooler and filling dry ice in around it, but after seeing this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/dry-ice-pre-chilling-266409/

I'm not as sure that will be an effective solution. So alternatively, I'm now thinking I could just put the can in a cooler of ice water, with mostly ice and just enough water to fill in all the space between the ice (to ensure the entire submerged surface is in contact with the icewater solution). Do you think this is a good solution/am I thinking in the right direction? Or are there other ways you recommend to cool quicker? I'm also looking to do this as cheaply as possible, and the whole thing needs to be relatively compact.

Your idea is probably the fastest way of chilling on a budget (use of aluminum is a good idea since it will transfer heat faster). It will chill faster if you actively stir the wort while in the ice bath. If you want faster (hey you said "as quickly as possible"), then you'll have to turn to some way that uses a heat exchanger - like a copper coil immersion chiller, or a counterflow chiller (plate or tube). These are all the mainstream methods of cooling. You could probably get more sophisticated, but the cost will go way up.

If I may ask, why 1 gallon? It it space constraints, or are you making this for yeast starters?

Your idea is probably the fastest way of chilling on a budget (use of aluminum is a good idea since it will transfer heat faster). It will chill faster if you actively stir the wort while in the ice bath. If you want faster (hey you said "as quickly as possible"), then you'll have to turn to some way that uses a heat exchanger - like a copper coil immersion chiller, or a counterflow chiller (plate or tube). These are all the mainstream methods of cooling. You could probably get more sophisticated, but the cost will go way up.

If I may ask, why 1 gallon? It it space constraints, or are you making this for yeast starters?

Yeah I thought about copper coil immersion coolers or cfcs, but I don't have any means to run water through this thing. And as far as the 1 gallon thing goes, it's part of the spatial constraints of this particular project.

Close up the paint can, spray with fire extinguisher.

lol that might be a little too messy

Back