quick water help/question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently brewing a Kolsch and had some water problems (kids spilled the top-off water - spring water).

I have very hard water and a water softener.... do you see any problems with going 50/50 hard water to soft water to balance out the ppm? My hard water is 220 calcium and 110 magnesium....

I can't really run to the store to get more. PM technique and would need about 2 more gallons roughly...

Thanks!!!

Does your softened water have sodium, or other things in it? I'd be tempted to do 1/2 and 1/2, but I'm not sure what exactly the softener does to water.

It is a salt based softener---best as I understand it, the particles that make water hard, calcium and magnesium, get somewhat replaced by sodium. harder water will therefore have even more sodium replacement. I am just wondering if mixing the two will balance out.

Or, is it better to have harder water than softer water and just avoid any softened water all together. If it was a more robust style, I may not care as much.

But this is a Kolsch, so....

Wort sure tasted good, and smells awesome boiling right now!

Thanks for the quick reply

Back