Quick Starter Questions - How to Get DME into Flask without Mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewThruYou

Reaction score
1. If using DME, when do you add the DME? Prior to putting it on the stove or once the water is heated or boiling?

2. How do I get DME into the flask without creating a mess? I tried using a big funnel, but it just clumps up. I'm now using a canning funnel, but the opening is just slightly too big. Do you spoon it in? Pour it?

Thanks.

Boiling in the flask is a pain in the a$$. I boil a 10:1 (100g to 1L)ratio of dme to water in a pot. After the 10-15 boil I pour it into a sanitized flask.

If it is clumping that is due to moisture. I add DME first thing with a metal funnel then top up with water and put on my stove.

Boiling in the flask is a pain in the a$$. I boil a 10:1 (100g to 1L)ratio of dme to water in a pot. After the 10-15 boil I pour it into a sanitized flask.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Boil in a pot and pour in to a sanitized flask. Much easier.

Once I hit a boil in the flask, I pour some into a pot or bowl, dissolve the DME, and then pour back into the flask.

I weigh the extract on a piece of heavy duty foil, then use the foil to pour it into the flask before heating. There's no need to stir; the heat will agitate and dissolve everything. A drop of simethicone defoamer is invaluable here.

If you're boiling in a separate vessel, you're defeating the whole point behind using a borosilicate flask -- that is, you can boil (heat-sanitize) and chill the wort without pouring or racking.

I pour the water into small stainless pain and get the water just a little over warm. Wisk the DME in for a min and then transfer into flask and boil for 12-15 mins. Simple easy no mess and works every time.

I weigh the extract on a piece of heavy duty foil, then use the foil to pour it into the flask before heating. There's no need to stir; the heat will agitate and dissolve everything. A drop of simethicone defoamer is invaluable here.

If you're boiling in a separate vessel, you're defeating the whole point behind using a borosilicate flask -- that is, you can boil (heat-sanitize) and chill the wort without pouring or racking.

The flask has a flat bottom which works well for my stir plate. I boiled the starter in the flask 1 time and it needed to be babysat. My preference is to boil on a pot and dump to flask. Then on to the stir plate for 18- 24 hours. Works for me.
Cheers.

Bensiff said:
If it is clumping that is due to moisture. I add DME first thing with a metal funnel then top up with water and put on my stove.

me too. I throw it on the stir plate to incorporate it into the water, just cause I'm lazy.

Agreed, except i boil for a minute or two

I too just boil In a pot then transfer via funnel to my flask. Seems to me it's a lot easier washing a pot than trying to mess with getting the dme into the flask.

I just whisk cold water and DME in a mixing bowl first then use a funnel to pour into the flask, then put it on the stove. I started doing that after having similar issues as your describing. And I can do it without making a mess! Mom would be so proud of me.

I have plenty of funnels...they keep clogging because the DME clumps together.!

If your starter wort is full of clumps, you might want to tweak your process! I've never had that problem. I use a whisk to combine the DME while it's boiling, which works very well...

Buy a $1 funnel and cut the bottom out with a razor knife so that it still sits easily on the flask. Pour a little water without the funnel and then the dme with the funnel. Dust it off and rinse with the rest of the water. Swirl the contents and heat on medium high while swirling every minute or three. Once the solids break down crank up the burner.

I don't see a point in owning a flask if you do that. I own flasks so I can heat, cool and stirplate in the same vessel...the boiling sanitizes that vessel, the steam sanitizes the foam stopper (for those that use them), etc. But, to each their own.

If your starter wort is full of clumps, you might want to tweak your process! I've never had that problem. I use a whisk to combine the DME while it's boiling, which works very well...

The dry malt extract clumps...not the wort...when funneling into the flask. You skipped over the part where you get the DME into the flask, which is the title of this thread and my main issue. You must have a really wide mouth flask if you have zero issues combining AND can get a whisk in there!

BrewThruYou said:
I don't see a point in owning a flask if you do that. I own flasks so I can heat, cool and stirplate in the same vessel...the boiling sanitizes that vessel, the steam sanitizes the foam stopper (for those that use them), etc. But, to each their own.

The dry malt extract clumps...not the wort...when funneling into the flask. You skipped over the part where you get the DME into the flask, which is the title of this thread and my main issue. You must have a really wide mouth flask if you have zero issues combining AND can get a whisk in there!

You don't have to see the point! I'm sure I do a lot of things different than you. There is no right or wrong way to boil water.

I boil, cool, and pitch in a saucepan then pour into the flask. Yes the DME does clump when I add it to the water. I stir until its fully disolved. Just like on brew day. Never needed a funnel to pour cooled wort into trhe flask. I have a 2000ML flask. Perhaps I have super steady hands (although I doubt it)

Latest posts

Back