Quick Star San Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnest

Reaction score
I got a bottle of Star San and am a little worried about handling. There are serious warnings on the bottle about skin contact and such.

So, once diluted according to the instructions on the bottle, is Star San safe to touch?

I use Star San all of the time, and once it is properly dilluted it is fine to touch. The unique bottle makes it easier to measure and pour without having to touch at full strength. I got some on my hands at full strength once and it stung. A quick rinse with warm water and no worries.

I got a bottle of Star San and am a little worried about handling. There are serious warnings on the bottle about skin contact and such.

So, once diluted according to the instructions on the bottle, is Star San safe to touch?

Perfectly safe. Won't hurt you a bit. I've had undiluted star san on my hands many times and it didn't do anything. I washed it off right away of course. Don't worry, it's not going to eat your hand off :D

The vast majority will say it is fine. I even got some in my mouth and although it tasted terrible, it didn't do anything. Just wash it off quickly.

The undiluted stuff is kinda nasty, will etch countertops and such.

Diluted, I dip my hands in it without any concern prior to touching any surface that will come in contact with wort. It can dry out your hands, although I've not had problems with that.

Just my experiences. Can't promise anyone won't have a bad reaction to the diluted stuff, but I certainly haven't.

+1 for the dry hands. With all the brewing and yeast washing I have been doing I have been having my hands in star san several days a week for the past few weeks and my hands have gotten dry. Nothing some hand lotion cant fix.

...If you have any cuts or cracks on your hands, starsan contact will be painful even with diluted stuff. It will sting your eyes if you get too close to the foam blowing out a starsan filled airlock and it will eat holes in cotton - all my brewing shirts are falling apart where I've wiped starsan covered hands on them.

Hmm... The shirt eating thing is good to know. I always slum it when I brew do I don't care about my shirt but still.

I get it all over. My hands are in the bucket of star san all the time. I get the concentrated stuff on me and I've never seen any issues. Not on clothing or counter tops either.
I don't worry at all about it.

That being said, there was a recent thread on here where a guy does get a reaction on his skin. I think it's probably very uncommon. Probably an allergic reaction.

Back