Quick review of my mild recipe (and some yeast choice help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commonlaw

Reaction score
This is getting brewed for a pig roast happening in less than 4 weeks. Hopefully I can go grain to glass in that time. 11 gallon batch, going to do single infusion around 153 degrees, batch sparge. This is going to come in just a bit higher than the guidelines for a mild at ~1.046, getting to ~4.5% alcohol. Still sessionable but hopefully with some substance.

The Carafa II is going to be debittered/dehusked, or if there is debittered chocolate I'll go with that.

Any changes you'd make?

As for yeast I don't know what I'm going to do. I like burton but don't know how it will be in a mild. also considering british (005). Maybe there's some others out there?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 lb Mild Malt (4.0 SRM) Grain 81.08 %
1.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.76 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.05 %
0.50 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.25 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (75 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
0.75 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (75 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 8.2 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 lb Jaggery (10.0 SRM) Sugar 5.41 %
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

In the 2 darker session ales that I have done I've used WLP002, English Ale, with great success.
Using a 2000ml starter for this low a gravity should really give you a great fermentation and super clean beer.

In the 2 darker session ales that I have done I've used WLP002, English Ale, with great success.
Using a 2000ml starter for this low a gravity should really give you a great fermentation and super clean beer.

for whatever reason i have not loved the WLP002 in the last two beers I've done it in. No idea why. I could cut down on the starter, I just want a good fast fermentation because I have to knock this one out in under 4 weeks.

I've used Wyeast London III for milds in the past. It attenuates well and leave a slight sweetness which melds micely with the crystal malt.

Also, it's a bit hoopy for a traditional mild. Personally, I'd reduce the amount of bittering IBUs, but leave the 15 minute addition.

Good luck. Milds are great.

Back