Quick response: hops for am. wheat? (Mt. hood vs. Czech Saaz vs. ?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markstache

Reaction score
I'm going to make a Nikobrew order to take advantage of the sale. My wife likes wheat beers, but my 3 attempts have fallen flat. I think it may be because of hop choice. I've used summit, Columbus, and Willamette.

I'm planning to get some cascade and magnum. I'd like to get 1 or 2 more varieties. Any suggestions?

Amarillo is great.
But an under rated hop which is great in wheats is Sorachi Ace

+1s for both Amarillo and sorachi, but I really think we need more info to be able to pinpoint a good hop. Are we talking American wheat, hefe, or Belgian wit here? If you could name a few commercial examples of what she likes we could probably dial it in a bit easier.

Thanks for the pointer to Amarillo. I wouldn't have thought of that. I've heard of Gumball head, but I'll certainly have to get some now for her to try.

The benchmark commercial offerings are Bells Oberon, Hoegarden, and Goose Island Urban Wheat. Hefes have not been as popular. Recently she's tried a few white IPAs (e.g., New Belgium Accumulation), but she finds them too hoppy.

Back