Quick Recipie - Input please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuxoni

Reaction score
Hi,

I''m a long time reader of the forum who lapsed and haven't had time to brew for some time. This weekend I'm planning on doing some brewing, but the ingredients I have to hand are a bit limited, as is the time to do much planning, so this is what I've come up with ..... I'm proposing this as sort of a light colored IPA. Does anybody have any helpful input on this? Much appreciated ...

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 6 53.8 %
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 7 38.5 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8 7.7 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 15.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 17.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 4.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 3.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 6.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 14 3.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 1.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 Hop 17 4.3 IBUs

I think that looks like a fine IPA but you are missing the dry hops

^ That. It isn't an IPA without dry hops.

I would move the 15 and 10 minute additions to 10' and 5', and move the 5' and 0' to the whirlpool at 180F (60'). Maybe split the whirlpool into 2 additions, one at 180F (30') then the remainder at 165F (30').

Thanks for the quick responses. It'll be 5 gallon. I will move the hops as suggested and get hold of some more cascade for dry hopping in the keg. How much would recommended?

Thanks for the quick responses. It'll be 5 gallon. I will move the hops as suggested and get hold of some more cascade for dry hopping in the keg. How much would recommended?

3oz should do it. Throwing in an ounce of columbus in the dry hop would fit in well too

3oz should do it. Throwing in an ounce of columbus in the dry hop would fit in well too

2-3 oz total I'd say. Dry hop for 5 days at ambient temps, or leave in a suspended bag in the keg.

Columbus will make it a bit more interesting. But only if the OP likes Columbus... It's a pretty potent and dank hop. I'd probably more inclined to add 0.5 oz of Mosaic or Galaxy instead. Again, either of these hops are also an acquired taste.

That could definitely work too if you wanted to make it more fruity. I personally love columbus + cascade or centennial. It all depends on what direction OP wants to go

Looks like a classy brew. I like Cascade a lot for something like that. If you want to accentuate the floral aspects you could dry hop with things like more Cascade and Willamette, and even some British hops like EKG, Boadicea, First Gold or Endeavour.

Thanks for the advice, ive got hold of some more cascade for the dry hop but may put a half oz of Willamette since I have some left over. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back