Quick Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey I want to start making the Chocolate Cherry Sweet Stout, I understand the recipe for the most part however I have one quick question:

When the recipe says this, "add 2oz of the cherry, 2oz chocolate and .75lbs lactose at 10-15 mins from end of boil" does it mean I add these ingredients 10-15 minutes before I end the boil or does it mean 10-15 minutes after the boil?

Prob. a very stupid question but ya gotta ask em!

Thanks!

EamusCatuli said:
Hey I want to start making the Chocolate Cherry Sweet Stout, I understand the recipe for the most part however I have one quick question:

When the recipe says this, "add 2oz of the cherry, 2oz chocolate and .75lbs lactose at 10-15 mins from end of boil" does it mean I add these ingredients 10-15 minutes before I end the boil or does it mean 10-15 minutes after the boil?

Thanks!

Before the end of the boil. I tend to use a timer and the clock such that I write down the boil start time and then count forward from there and add notes to each ingredient as to when exactly they'll be added to the boil.

EamusCatuli said:

Thanks!

Are you using chocolate malt or bakers chocolate? Also you can add the cherry into the bottling bucket and you will get a more pronounced cherry flavor

Just 'casue there is morethan one way to skin a cat, I use a countdown timer with a bell at zero.

Gosh I hope I don't end up confusing someone.

For the recipe above I would set my timer for 45 minutes. When the timer bell rings I would turn it to 15 minutes, then throw in the cherry, chocolate and lactose. When the bell rings again the boil is complete.

[/highjack]

Agree, before the end of the boil.

I made this beer yesterday!

I bumped up the chocolate to three ounces, added that with the other stuff about 15 minutes before the end of the boil, and I'll add the rest of the cherry flavoring into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar.

Back