Quick questions before I start!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrow

Reaction score
Ok here is a rundown of the steps in my brew kit:

1. Cleanse and Sanitize
2. Add 2 gallons of water to pot. Steep grains at 160-170 for 20 minutes and remove, then discard
3. Boil the 2 gallons in the brew pot. Add Malt Extract. Stir and return to boil. Add Bittering Hops. Boil 55 minutes, then add finishing hops for 5 more minutes boiling
4. Cool wort to 70 degrees, add to fermentor
5. Add 3 gallons water to fermentor.

That sound right? I was thinking of swapping to 4 gallons for the first part, and adding 1 gallon of pre-boiled and cooled water. That work too? Should I rehydrate my yeast?

And is just under 2 teaspoons of Iodophor right for about 3 gallons of water?

A bigger boil is better but will increase hops utilization so you may need to cut back slightly on the hops. Also makes cooling trickier, you might want an IC for a 4 gallon boil.

If you're going to do that, steep in 2 gallons. Boil 2 gallons in another pot while you steep, and add it for the extract/hops boil (this saves a lot of time).

You will have to add more than 3 gallons at the end. You're going to boil off a lot of that 2 gallons. Your fermenter should be marked with quart and gallon lines so you can see how much to add.

So should I just stick to the directions and start with 2 gallons, do all the steps, then while the wort sits in the fermentor, boil up 3-4 gallons to add to the concentrate?

So should I just stick to the directions and start with 2 gallons, do all the steps, then while the wort sits in the fermentor, boil up 3-4 gallons to add to the concentrate?

no, that water in the end needs to be cold to bring your temp down to 70F

If you boil the top-up water, you are also going to have to cool it back down. For my stove top partial boils I boil the top up water the night before, then let it cool overnight so I don't have to worry about extra ice etc on the day. Tap water should be pretty near sterile. The only reason I boil the top up water at all is to get rid of the chlorine, not to sanitize it. I try to do about 3 gallons for my extract boil: boil as much as you are able to boil in your pot/on your stove (without boiling over) and chill easily. You will lose some to evaporation.

Well I already started. I have 2 gallons heating for the steep. Should I change that now? Should I just boil it and let it cool, then boil 3 more for the actual brew?

What does you tap water taste like? If it is drinkable, I'd say just go for it - don't worry about boiling it.

Well I have a water filter that is attached to the faucet, so it is surely drinkable. Should I just do 2 gallons of steeped and malted water, then add 3 gallons of cold (lukewarm?) tap water? I don't want to risk contamination!!

Well I have a water filter that is attached to the faucet, so it is surely drinkable. Should I just do 2 gallons of steeped and malted water, then add 3 gallons of cold (lukewarm?) tap water? I don't want to risk contamination!!
You are not going to get a contamination from fresh tap water. If you have a filter, you are golden.

RDWHAHB. :mug:

Too late. I boiled 2 gallons of water and threw it in my fermenter to cool. Now I am heating 2 gallons to steep, then I will boil it with another gallon of water for the extract and hops. That going to be ok?

It'll be fine. You'll need some more top-up water in all likelihood--if you don't have someplace to put another gallon or two of boiled water to cool (add what you need to make 5 gallons in the fermentor) then you could run out and buy a couple gallons of distilled water.

Well I basically said screw it and dove in. Hopefully everything comes out tasty. I am following the directions but sticking with the "Relax, don't worry" attitude. BTW, these steeping grains smell PHENOMENAL!

Back