Quantcast

Quick questions before I start!!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Scrow

Reaction score
Ok here is a rundown of the steps in my brew kit:

1. Cleanse and Sanitize
2. Add 2 gallons of water to pot. Steep grains at 160-170 for 20 minutes and remove, then discard
3. Boil the 2 gallons in the brew pot. Add Malt Extract. Stir and return to boil. Add Bittering Hops. Boil 55 minutes, then add finishing hops for 5 more minutes boiling
4. Cool wort to 70 degrees, add to fermentor
5. Add 3 gallons water to fermentor.

That sound right? I was thinking of swapping to 4 gallons for the first part, and adding 1 gallon of pre-boiled and cooled water. That work too? Should I rehydrate my yeast?

And is just under 2 teaspoons of Iodophor right for about 3 gallons of water?

SumnerH

Reaction score
A bigger boil is better but will increase hops utilization so you may need to cut back slightly on the hops. Also makes cooling trickier, you might want an IC for a 4 gallon boil.

If you're going to do that, steep in 2 gallons. Boil 2 gallons in another pot while you steep, and add it for the extract/hops boil (this saves a lot of time).

alpo

Reaction score
You will have to add more than 3 gallons at the end. You're going to boil off a lot of that 2 gallons. Your fermenter should be marked with quart and gallon lines so you can see how much to add.

OP
S

Scrow

Reaction score
So should I just stick to the directions and start with 2 gallons, do all the steps, then while the wort sits in the fermentor, boil up 3-4 gallons to add to the concentrate?

By-Tor

Reaction score
So should I just stick to the directions and start with 2 gallons, do all the steps, then while the wort sits in the fermentor, boil up 3-4 gallons to add to the concentrate?
no, that water in the end needs to be cold to bring your temp down to 70F

BioBeing

Reaction score
If you boil the top-up water, you are also going to have to cool it back down. For my stove top partial boils I boil the top up water the night before, then let it cool overnight so I don't have to worry about extra ice etc on the day. Tap water should be pretty near sterile. The only reason I boil the top up water at all is to get rid of the chlorine, not to sanitize it. I try to do about 3 gallons for my extract boil: boil as much as you are able to boil in your pot/on your stove (without boiling over) and chill easily. You will lose some to evaporation.

OP
S

Scrow

Reaction score
Well I already started. I have 2 gallons heating for the steep. Should I change that now? Should I just boil it and let it cool, then boil 3 more for the actual brew?

BioBeing

Reaction score
What does you tap water taste like? If it is drinkable, I'd say just go for it - don't worry about boiling it.

OP
S

Scrow

Reaction score
Well I have a water filter that is attached to the faucet, so it is surely drinkable. Should I just do 2 gallons of steeped and malted water, then add 3 gallons of cold (lukewarm?) tap water? I don't want to risk contamination!!

BioBeing

Reaction score
Well I have a water filter that is attached to the faucet, so it is surely drinkable. Should I just do 2 gallons of steeped and malted water, then add 3 gallons of cold (lukewarm?) tap water? I don't want to risk contamination!!
You are not going to get a contamination from fresh tap water. If you have a filter, you are golden.

RDWHAHB. :mug:

OP
S

Scrow

Reaction score
Too late. I boiled 2 gallons of water and threw it in my fermenter to cool. Now I am heating 2 gallons to steep, then I will boil it with another gallon of water for the extract and hops. That going to be ok?

SumnerH

Reaction score
It'll be fine. You'll need some more top-up water in all likelihood--if you don't have someplace to put another gallon or two of boiled water to cool (add what you need to make 5 gallons in the fermentor) then you could run out and buy a couple gallons of distilled water.

OP
S

Scrow

Reaction score
Well I basically said screw it and dove in. Hopefully everything comes out tasty. I am following the directions but sticking with the "Relax, don't worry" attitude. BTW, these steeping grains smell PHENOMENAL!