Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprice37

Reaction score
So I am trying to figure out why, when I tell beersmith that I want to do a single infusion medium body mash for a 7 gallon boil it tells me to use 11.44qt of h2ofor the mash in and 6.41qt h2o for the mash out. That does not total even 5 gallons and I need 7. Is it normal to add H2O to the wort after a mash to bring up to boil volume or is there somewhere in beersmith that I have to add some info to get a total of 7 gallons of wort for my 7 gallon boil. The Grain bill in 9.15 lbs and from my understanding the mash out isthe same as sparging. Help please.

So I am trying to figure out why, when I tell beersmith that I want to do a single infusion medium body mash for a 7 gallon boil it tells me to use 11.44qt of h2ofor the mash in and 6.41qt h2o for the mash out. That does not total even 5 gallons and I need 7. Is it normal to add H2O to the wort after a mash to bring up to boil volume or is there somewhere in beersmith that I have to add some info to get a total of 7 gallons of wort for my 7 gallon boil. The Grain bill in 9.15 lbs and from my understanding the mash out isthe same as sparging. Help please.

Use the "Water Needed" tool... so 17.85 qts... round up to 18qt (oh yea math pro right here), 9.15lbs of grain, 1/2gal dead space, assuming you boil down to 6gal:

Boil Size: 6.87gal
Sparge Water Needed: 3.97 gals...

Brewing Software

Quick Tip: Pick better subjects. ~

-bn

Check your equipment, if you have it set for a 5 gallon Kettle, then it will give you less water since it thinks you can't do a full boil

Back