Quick question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damnyankee

Reaction score
I have a quick question...but to preface:

I had to transfer a 2 day old primary fermented green beer from my 6.5 gallon bucket into my 5 gallon glass carboy. Not thinking, I poured the beer from the fermentation bucket into the carboy. It aerated ALOT. LOTS of oxygen bubbles. It was foam, actually.

After about 10 minutes, I noticed the bubbles weren't dissipating. I took some freshly boiled water which was cooled and dissolved a cup of sugar in it. Then placed the sugar mixture into the glass carboy.

20 minutes later, the airlock which before the transfer had stopped 'percolating', is now happily percolating again. And, all the oxygen bubbles and foam has disappeared.

By adding the sugar water to reactivate the yeast to use up all those bubbles & foam, was I able to save the beer? Is there a guestimate as to how much extra alcohol that cup of sugar water will add to the final product?

I can tell you I won't be doing THAT again!!!

Thanks in advance!

DY

I'll assume that you transfered after two days since you needed your fermentor for another batch. Ask Santa for another fermentor, first of all.

Second, there was probably enough suspended, active, fermenting yeast - since two days is generally not long enough to fully ferment - so adding the sugar may not have been necessary to deal with the additional oxygen. Regardless, it's done now. As far as I know, a pound of sugar will add 0.004 SG points, so if your OG was 1.040, it'd be 1.044 with the sugar. HBTers - correct me if I'm wrong.

Moral of the whole story - buy another fermentor, let your beer ferment fully and RDWHAHB. You'll always get beer.

Hope that it turns out, but I'd start another batch right away :mug:

that is extreme. as nugent suggests, you can't have enough fermentors and start the pipeline :tank:

Yeah, you're fine. Beer is pretty tough to screw up... It will be beer. It will have alcohol in it. It will get you drunk... And if you did everything right in the first place, it might even taste good!!!! :)

And another bucket is 15 bucks... go buy a couple more, you'll be stoked that you did. If you can leave your beer in one longer, you will be so much happier with the end result!!!!!

Back