Quick Question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwarrior86

Reaction score
How long should I budget to bottle my beer? I have all the gear and everything is ready (not sanitized..)...Should this take 1hr, 2hr....????

A 5 gallon batch of beer going into 12 oz bottles takes me about 2 and a half hours. That includes washing the equipment and bottles, sanitizing everything, boiling the priming sugar, racking to bottling bucket, bottling, capping, and clean up after everything's done.

There are ways to make that go faster, but it's mostly a matter of dialing in your process and getting familiar with every step.

Thanks guys...saved me from starting something I couldn't finish tonight. I took off Thursday and Friday...so I will have time to bottle my first and brew my second batch. Thanks again for the insight.

Yea I got mine to about an hour and half. I wish I had a dishwasher cause I know that could cut some serious time off too.

What I do is put all 48 of my bottles into two buckets with water and iodophor solution. Take them out drain the liquid out of them and put them in their boxes. Cover with sanitized tinfoil and them go do my siphoning/dextrose boiling. I open the bottles once I have everything ready to go and fill them.

I have no idea how long it takes me because i actually LOVE it. I await the day and put it on my calendar. I was just thinking, hmm maybe it does take 2 hours if i include sanitizing etc... either way, if you LOVE it and have waited patiently, it should not be a chore but a proud experience. Especially when your babies are all capped and standing tall haha. I can understand worrying about the time if you have only an hour to spare... but does anyone else actually enjoy this part of the process like me?

It took us about 1 hour to bottle a 5 gallon batch yesterday.

It was mostly Grolsch bottles (15.5 oz or so) with 3 750ml bottles thrown in the mix. And they were all already clean/delabelled, so that's just boiling the sugar, sanitizing bottles, racking to bottling bucket, bottling, and cleaning up.

I'm guessing that we saved time by:
a) having 2 people going
b) having slightly larger (hence fewer) bottles
c) using swing-tops for all but 3, so no real capping time

I'm with Beau815, I am proud and thoroughly enjoy the bottling experience. It represents 3-4 weeks of patient waiting, meticulous sanitation, planning, and TLC; and ... well I drink alot of Home Brew now when I do it.

SO the earlier part about being proud and enjoying it is just made up in my mind. :drunk:

Remember, this sweet nectar doesn't come for free. Some hard labor should be involved. It makes it taste that much better!

Cheers.

Thanks webnmar... I also agree that the more effort I put in the better it tastes... even if its all psychological :)

I usually enjoy the process until I actually have to do it. My biggest gripe is de-labelling, so fi I have already cleaned and de-labelled bottles it is pretty fast and painless.

I agree! That is the worst part... i soak em overnight in soap water... some are easy some are hard. Im sure there are easier ways using other solution but I soak then scrap off with a kitchen knife then rub under hot water and then if there is anything still on, windex takes it off.

aww c'mon no kegging reference yet!

Congrats to all you looney bins that find joy in bottling. It is a nice reward to sit and look at the mass of bottles when you're done, but I moved to kegs as soon as I possibly could.

aww c'mon no kegging reference yet!

Congrats to all you looney bins that find joy in bottling. It is a nice reward to sit and look at the mass of bottles when you're done, but I moved to kegs as soon as I possibly could.

Yeah...it was actually quite peaceful in here without it...It still never ceases to amaze me why we CAN'T have a bottle thread without some doofus making a kegging reference.....:rolleyes:

icon_OO.gif

I have no idea how long it takes me because i actually LOVE it. I await the day and put it on my calendar. I was just thinking, hmm maybe it does take 2 hours if i include sanitizing etc... either way, if you LOVE it and have waited patiently, it should not be a chore but a proud experience. Especially when your babies are all capped and standing tall haha. I can understand worrying about the time if you have only an hour to spare... but does anyone else actually enjoy this part of the process like me?

I agree with llazy llama, you are a freak of nature! You are welcome to come bottle every batch I brew.
And, IrregularPulse, "THANKS" for screwing up a perfectly good thread! :D

Yeah i only like bottling my own creations, i dont think i would be as excited if it was someone elses... unless I got a sixer or something haha

Back