Quick question while I'm brewing first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utouchme

Reaction score
When I went to look for the vinyl thermometers that you stick on the side of aquariums, I could only find ones that went down to 66F. So I purchased a cooking thermometer with a stainless steel probe at the end of a 3 foot wire that I'd like to dangle into my fermenter. The wire is very thin and will still allow the lid to make a tight seal.

Has anyone done this or know if this is a good way (or not) to keep track of the temp of my brew?

I'm almost at the end of my boil....
Thanks in advance.

I've never heard of this and as long as its sanitized and doesn't have a rub off finish I don't see why it wouldn't work. You can also generally find those stick on thermometers at your beer equipment place for a couple bucks.

Sounds like it would work great and be a lot more accurate than the stick on ferometers. My only concern is, would kinking it like inbetween the lid and bucket, effect the reading?

I'd say if the lid seals tight it should be okay for now but be sure to sanitize everything in contact with the beer and leave it alone until you get a stick on

1) I use one all the time. The Taylor "Tru-Temp"

taylor-gourmet-digital-thermometer-1109-s3-medium_new.jpg

There's actually an excellent thread on adding a layer of waterproofing using silicon aquarium tubing. But I've been using my latest one for years, just being careful to only submerge part of the probe in the liguid. I usually use my mash paddle over the kettle with the cord wrapped a couple times to keep it at a good depth.

2) You really shouldn't boil your wort with the lid on. There are chemicals given off during the boil that you want driven off in the steam, that if it is trapped and falls back down can cause off flavors. One of them is called DMS which can leave a cooked corn taste to the beer.

If you need to use the lid to get it to boiling temp, fine, but take it of for the majority of the boil.

Revvy said:
1) I use one all the time. The Taylor "Tru-Temp"

There's actually an excellent thread on adding a layer of waterproofing using silicon aquarium tubing. But I've been using my latest one for years, just being careful to only submerge part of the probe in the liguid. I usually use my mash paddle over the kettle with the cord wrapped a couple times to keep it at a good depth.

2) You really shouldn't boil your wort with the lid on. There are chemicals given off during the boil that you want driven off in the steam, that if it is trapped and falls back down can cause off flavors. One of them is called DMS which can leave a cooked corn taste to the beer.

If you need to use the lid to get it to boiling temp, fine, but take it of for the majority of the boil.

I think he was referring to using it in his fermentor. But good info anyway :mug:

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I was referring to my fermentor. While waiting for my wort to cool (when I wrote the original post, I was panicking a bit and forgot I had time during cooling) I went back and searched some old posts on the subject. It seems the general consensus was that sitcking the probe to the outside of the fermentor and insulating it from outside air was the way to go.

I think I'll try that so I don't have to stick any unwanted probes in my can...

Only one of my primaries even has a temp gauge. I know the temp I pitch at and know the room temp, so I know about what my worth is at (esp adding info from the one with a temp readin)

Back