Quick question on WYeast Liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Does it really take 3 hours before pitching after I break the internal packet? Also, do I keep it in the fridge during that three hours?

The internal packet is there to show you that you have live yeast. just break it and leave it set on the counter, don't put it back in the refrigerator. Most people will do it the night before.

Let it warm to room temperature before smacking. Once it is smacked shake well and lay it on the counter, still at room temperature. It can take 3 hours but what you want to see is the pack swelled up firm. It is ready to pitch then.

You want less than a 10C temperature difference between the yeast going into the wort, and the wort temperature. Which is why most of us get it closer to room temp before pitching. If you're not making a starter, then break the internal pack, get it to proof, and then pitch after it's swelled up some. Depending on the yeast age and temperatures, that could be anywhere from an hour to many hours later. I would typically smack the pack before starting to heat the strike water. Since I make starters for all my beers, though, it's not so much an issue. I just pull the starter from the fridge at about the same time, decant the spent starter wort (leaving a little to make the slurry) and go about brewing. By the time the batch is cooled and in fermenting vessel, the starter has warmed enough to be ready to be pitched in.

Thanks Guys....

I pulled it out of the frig and am letting it warm up to room temp and then I'll pop it. I'm planning on brewing a Kolsh later this afternoon...probably won't start until close to 5pm.....

Thanks Guys....

I pulled it out of the frig and am letting it warm up to room temp and then I'll pop it. I'm planning on brewing a Kolsh later this afternoon...probably won't start until close to 5pm.....

Pop it now. No advantage to letting it get warm first. Just smack it and give it a shake and let it sit.

That said, it's almost always important to make a starter when using liquid yeast, unless the OG of the beer is under 1.040 or so.

Back