Quick Question on Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I haven't seen this anywhere...Basically I am wondering if there is a timeline for dry hopping.

Does it matter if you dry hop a week after primary? Or should you wait until 2weeks or 3 weeks, does it matter? I am planning on dry hopping for 3 days, but was just wondering if there was a stage during primary or secondary that dry hopping was prefered.

I dry hop in secondary... some people dry hop in primary right before the end of fermentation.

There's an episode of it on Jamil's show from The Brewing Network that is quite informative.

You want to dry hop AFTER fermentation is complete. If fermentation is still taking place, guess where all your aroma from those $4/ounce hops just went? Yep, right out of the airlock.

Some people do this in the primary fermenter, others rack to secondary and add their dry hops. It is really up to you. I will suggest if you are using leaf hops to put them in your secondary and then rack on top of them.

Probably a dumb question, but could you dry hop in your bottles? I'm looking at my first two batches of Mr. Beer and while I am going to follow the instruction, I was just wondering if you could spice up a beer with hops by thowing them into the bottle while carbonating. I mean, do the hops give the yeast too much to chew on and increase the potential of a blown bottle?

Probably a dumb question, but could you dry hop in your bottles? I'm looking at my first two batches of Mr. Beer and while I am going to follow the instruction, I was just wondering if you could spice up a beer with hops by thowing them into the bottle while carbonating. I mean, do the hops give the yeast too much to chew on and increase the potential of a blown bottle?

some have reported that after too much exposure (say, more than 14 days), dry hops tend to impart a grassy, astringent character. chucking some hops into your bottle would also give YOU a lot to chew on, which might disgust some of your non-homebrew familiarized friends. as for blowing bottles, the hops don't provide any sugars or anything for the yeast to eat, dry hops simply increase hop aroma, so there's no increased chance for blown bottles.

Probably a dumb question, but could you dry hop in your bottles?

Yes, if you like the idea of having a slimy mass of soggy hops floating in your glass. Much better to toss a whole hop in you glass after pouring.

I had some cascade hops that ended up in my keg. I though that they would settle out, but they seem to distribute themselves evenly throughout the beer, and clog my tubes. So bottling hops is not a good idea. They don't settle out.

Yes, if you like the idea of having a slimy mass of soggy hops floating in your glass. Much better to toss a whole hop in you glass after pouring.

actually, i once opened and poured a stella artois, and on my second sip i got a full "leaf" of hops in my mouth!!! i kinda liked it, something to chew on while you drink lol

OP you will want to dry hop longer than three days. That is kinda a waste of those lovely expensive hops. Go at least 5 days and about as long as 14 for a good base number. Outside those numbers and you will read reviews about the problems all over this interweb.

I have an IPA that has been sitting for about a week and a half now.. I plan on dry-hopping today or tomorrow. Without taking consecutive hydrometer readings to tell if fermentation is done, is 1.5 weeks long enough to begin dry hopping, or should I wait until the 2 week mark, then begin dry hopping?

As with most aspects of brewing, waiting a little long is never a bad thing.

Dry hopping shouldn't be done when fermentation is active. The yeast will utilize some of the flavor and aroma compounds you are trying to impart into your beer into their cell walls during reproduction and growth.

A little yeast activity isn't a bad thing. Active yeast will take care of any oxygen introduced during dry hopping.

So, if you're on a deadline, do it now. If not, wait a few days.

They should add patience to the Reinheitsgebot.

This coming from a guy who was drinking a bottle conditioned stout that was brewed 5/4 last night.

Not to hijack this thread but another question on Dry Hopping... I have 2 Oz of pellet hops that this recipe calls for to dry hop... I will be racking to secondary fermenter after a week or so in primary. I planned to wait a few days after it was in secondary. When I add the hops to the secondary to dry hop, should I use a nylon bag or can I just let them float at the top of the fermenter?

You want to dry hop AFTER fermentation is complete. If fermentation is still taking place, guess where all your aroma from those $4/ounce hops just went? Yep, right out of the airlock.

Solid advice but GOO!!

$4/ounce? Jeez, the cost of the hops for an IPA must be more than the grain bill! Is that around average what people pay?

3 days is pretty short. You should wait till two weeks or more and drop them in for a week. I have had good results making a quick "tea" out of leaf hops and pouring it into the secondary.

I just made an Imperial IPA and dry hopped it in the keg. I tied one of the silver hop balls around sanitized fishing line and just dropped it in ...I was told this way I can taste test every few days and pull it out when I have achieved what I wanted...I used one oz of amarillo pellets....hopefully this doesnt affect the clarity of my beer...

Any ideas?? Good or bad??

Latest posts

Back