quick question on carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx102

Reaction score
I brewed a Paterbeirs kit from NB which calls for a volume of 3 for the CO2. I found a spreadsheet on here showing what pressure to set the keg at. So I set the keg for 18psi and it is 39-40 in my freezer and its been a week.
I am having a get together tomorrow and want to serve homebrew. Would it be too early to serve it? I don't mind if it isn't true to style and is a little less carbonated because my guests will have no clue. Is a week long enough to carb it to a decent level?
Also, when I cleaned my keg for the first time I got starsan trapped in between the tap and ball lock, in the tube basically. It has been sitting in there for a week. That should be fine, correct?
Thanks for your help.

All is fine. You can do the following:
1. turn the pressure down to serving pressure tomorrow and get what you get.
2. pull the keg out today, but leave the gas line on and shake the crap out of it... if the regulator hisses, it isn't fully carbed. If the regulator makes no noise, it's fully carbed. After shaking you need to let it sit for about a day to settle.

Starsan in the lines/tubes is no problem at all. When you go to serve the first pint, you should always let a half pint or so go down the drain to rinse out the sediment in the bottom of the keg and any residue from the lines and tap anyways.

My common sense answer would be to pour one and taste it.

If it tastes GOOD --> Serve to friends
If it tastes BAD --> NO serve to friends

Back