Quick question on an extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDers28

Reaction score
Sup guys, first post on the forums and wanted to ask a quick question for anyone who could possibly answer.

I bought a kit, (Thunder Cookie Gingerbread Stout) from Jaspers, with the instructions indicating I would end up with an og anywhere from 1.077-1.081.

I followed the kit to a tee and ended up with an og of 1.065.

Now I know many people tell the new brewers to relax when they don't hit the specific og. So I went on Brew Toad and put the exact recipe in and it said that the recipe would actually have an og of 1.069, way closer to what mine came out as.

The only thing I didn't add was a 1/4th cup of molasses, which wouldn't bump my og that far.

So I guess what my question is, who is right? Jaspers written instructions with an og of 1.077-1.081 or BrewToad with their approx 1.069 og.

The only thing that's left to put in is a spice potion with cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla bean at bottling.

Thanks guys, really would appreciate the help.

I've noticed a difference of a little bit on just about every extract brew I've done. Most are only a couple points under so I have not worried about it. I do write it down so if I do that beer again I can check to see if there is any difference the next batch. I have not noticed any change in my Irish red that I have done 4 of in 2 years. They've all been a couple points under what the recipe said but tasted great! Biggest thing is how it tastes when it's in the glass for me!

Out of curiousity, I entered the recipe into another brewing calculator, and got 1.070. Still not the 1.077-1.081 they advertise. However, they I played with the variables, and if you assume 100% efficiency out of the steeping grains, I got 1.081.

I wonder if this is what they did. It's not right, but it's one explaination.

So, bottom line, I think you did everything right, and your OG is pretty close to where it should be. Looks like a tasty recipe, hope it come out well. Cheers :mug:

Out of curiousity, I entered the recipe into another brewing calculator, and got 1.070. Still not the 1.077-1.081 they advertise. However, they I played with the variables, and if you assume 100% efficiency out of the steeping grains, I got 1.081.

I wonder if this is what they did. It's not right, but it's one explaination.

So, bottom line, I think you did everything right, and your OG is pretty close to where it should be. Looks like a tasty recipe, hope it come out well. Cheers :mug:

Thanks JR. I noticed it was 1.07 I had it input as American stout rather than spiced beer. Was hoping for that higher ABV but eh what can you do. I appreciate the assistance. Cheers!

I've noticed that as well with a book recipe or kit vs what BeerSmith or some other software says. I find my measurements more closely match BeerSmith.

I think the difference is due to steeping efficiancy like you said, along with top off volume. It you top off to exactly 5 gal instead of 5.25 or 5.5 gals, that can make a difference of several points.

In the end, as long as you're within a few points I wouldn't worry about it. I figure .002 points is well within a standard deviation. Factor in another .004-5 for volume and efficiency differences and I'd say you're in the deviation window.

I've noticed that as well with a book recipe or kit vs what BeerSmith or some other software says. I find my measurements more closely match BeerSmith.

I think the difference is due to steeping efficiancy like you said, along with top off volume. It you top off to exactly 5 gal instead of 5.25 or 5.5 gals, that can make a difference of several points.

In the end, as long as you're within a few points I wouldn't worry about it. I figure .002 points is well within a standard deviation. Factor in another .004-5 for volume and efficiency differences and I'd say you're in the deviation window.

I know it's been a few months, but thank you! This beer was a nightmare to make. First the whole misunderstanding of the og then a few hours after brewing I had blow off! Huge sticky mess all over my brand new wooden floors. Then I dropped my spice potion. Talk about murphys law! Lol. But I cleaned up all the krausen and stickiness and added the same ingredients from the spice potion and it came out amazing!

Back