Quick Question! JAOM, what is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
What does JAOM stand for? I'm searching all the threads and i can't for my life find the one thread (there are probably more than one...) that defines this! Arrg!

Thanks for answering my noobish question....

~M~

Hey,

I know what that one is. I haven't done it, but it stands for Joe's Ancient Orange Mead. There is a recipe for it in the recipe section. I believe it is honey and water and oranges and bread yeast. Supposed to be a real easy starter for mead brewing. It is sometimes erroniously abbreviated as JOAM, also.

Gus (another noob)

3350888376_def3ae3bf0.jpg

This is about a month and a week in. :)

That and my variation on it, I purposely called MOAM (malkores orange ancient mead).

LOL...I think I've corrected people a bazillion times now here...it's JAOM (J....A....O...M)

Short for Joe's Ancient Orange Mead...Not JOAM..which as joemama said..JOAM...Joe's Old Ass Mead.

And yes check out MAOM..not to be confused with MOAM...

Dan

Fascinating! If JOAM and JAOM are two different recipes rather than referring to the same thing, as I had thought, could someone point me to a recipe for Joe's Old Ass Mead? Google has failed me. :(

My JA(blood)Orange recipe:

10 pounds of blood oranges cut into eights and shoved into a carboy

twelve pounds of wildflower honey
two cloves
one cinnamon stick
water to five and one half gallons and a 2-quart starter of US-05.

I did end up using a secondary, and topping up to five gallons. Ten pounds of oranges displaces quite a bit of water.

Do it...you know you want to!

Back