Quick question - foam color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polun

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch and have read enough to know the mantra that no matter what, your beer is fine..but I still want to ask because I haven't seen it anywhere else:

I'm brewing an English Pale Ale (kit) with extract and dry yeast - fermenting has been going on for 3 days now. My foam is on top like everyone else's I see, but mine is not brown, but a greenish color. I've read about small patches of green eventually sticking to the sides, but my entire top is green. Like I said the foam looks normal. I don't have any pics, but was curious if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks! :mug:

I have seen this before. You are looking at hop residues. Your beer is fine. Better than fine, its great, your yeast are happy. RDWHAB

You know what I'm going to say don't you?

RELAX!

Do you remember what color those hop pellets were that you added to your boil? Do you remember how little the specks of hop are?

** This isn't why they call un-aged beer green....but it is a nice visual.

And Welcome to HBT!

Awesome..I knew in my heart all was well..but who ever thinks of something green and foamy as good? ;)

Thanks for the reassurance.

Haha now THAT would be a story! :cross:

I could just see it:

"I'm usually a BMC drinker, and I decided that I'd make one of these 'hopbombs' people keep talking about. Now my beer is nothing but bitter! How did I mess up?"

I could just see it:

"I'm usually a BMC drinker, and I decided that I'd make one of these 'hopbombs' people keep talking about. Now my beer is nothing but bitter! How did I mess up?"

Haha I'm not THAT bad! I did a sample last night and *of course* tasted it and couldn't get over how good it was - even though it was flat and warm. What an amazing process...it's only been in primary for 5 days so far.

Back