Quick Question before bottleing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
I have a coffee porter i'm about to bottle tonight once i get off of work. Its been sitting in the fermenter for 4 weeks and wondering if there should be enough yeast to carbonate the beer. I'm guessing the little guys still floating around starving but just see what ya'll think and have done before

It'll be fine. Plenty of yeast still in suspension. You could always take just a little off the bottom of the fermenter when you transfer to your bottling bucket I've done that and it makes me feel better. Other wise don't worry about it and give it about three weeks in the bottle before you start thinking nothing is happening.

FYI, I did a Coffee Oatmeal stout using the Samuel Smith recipe and I bottled it.

Beer was AH-mazing but VERY VERY low carbonation. From what I recall, others suggested the oils (or something) from the coffee beans will lower your carbonation when bottling. I'd suggest bumping up your priming sugar a little bit to compensate for this.

However, my recipe was the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and I just used the recommended amount of sugar prior to bottling. This recipe didn't factor in the coffee addition. If your recipe originally included coffee, you may not need to bump it up.

Anyone else want to chime in on the proper amount of priming sugar?

I'm thinking of dissolving 4oz of corn sugar in 2 cups of fresh made coffee for the priming solution. Its going to be roughly 5 gals probably a little more being at 5.5 when i started the fermentation.

This was just a porter kit. It did not originally included coffee. I just felt like adding after having Real Ale's coffee porter

Back