Quick Question about Trellis Lines and Ground Stakes

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

PKisNJ

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

To give a quick background this is my first year planting hops and the plants are starting to really take off. I have put up the maypole/teepee style hop trellis with lines running to the stop of a 18' pole. Here is the question. The ground stakes I have are not holding well as the soil is a little too soft and the spikes are a little too short. I want to hang my ground stakes before its too late and could damage the plant if it comes out of the ground.

How can I fix this? Anyone out there that has had this problem?

Should I get longer wooden stakes from home depot? or wider camping tent stakes?

Any help would be appreciated. :mug:

Daniel1980

Reaction score
I had some 1/4 round moulding left over and I cut 2' lengths and put a small wood screw at the top to attach the twine. I started with the jute gardening twine from Lowes....it broke this past sat. I spent a couple hrs re-hanging my 15' cascade. I would recommend using something a little stronger. I replaced it with the braided nylon line from my bow fishing setup. That won't be breaking I'm sure.

day_trippr

Covid-19 Vaccine Effectivity Test Subject
Reaction score
I just use cheap 10" plastic tent stakes - I think they were $2.50 for an 8-pack - and insert them at an angle (around 20° from vertical, I'd guess). Over the years I've found the angle made the stakes less likely to pull out when I'm tying off the top of the drops...

Cheers!

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
Our local stores had 28" garden stakes, they are just rubber coated iron or something with a closed hook at one end and a single long rod.

Getting them in that deep can be a giant PITA with a lot of trial and error finding a spot that wont hit a rock, but they arent going anywhere once they get in there which is good because two of them are supporting the ends of my run with 3 plants going up stringers to the top.