quick question about transfering from carboy to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Is there any harm in using a pump to transfer from a carboy to a keg? I should be getting my first pump very shortly, and I just wanted to know if the pump (march 809) agitates the beer or basically mixes in any air as it goes through the pump... don't want any oxidation.

Thanks!

If I were you I wouldn't use the pump. You'll have a hard time priming it for one thing unless you drain though a spigot (In which case, why use the pump?). Plus the pumps suck pretty hard and will likely pull up a lot of sediment. Just siphon as usual. Or, if you want to get creative, there are some threads out there on transfering with CO2 pressure.

Yeah, I see what your saying and I can't believe I didn't think of that..

But wait!!!!

That is the beauty of this place. We are all involved in a hobby that has many faces and lots of detail. We are lucky in that the hobby offers us many options to get to the next step in the process.

We share our ideas when able and always learn something whenever we log in.

Back