Quick Question About Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekstallion

Reaction score
Well to keep it simple, I just wanted to double check to make sure I used the idophor right. I decided to just fill the bottling bucket with the concentration it recommended and just kill two birds with one stone by soaking the bottles in it. But then it hit me that I had the solution sitting in it for about 8 minutes total. So I'm wondering, should I rinse it now or is it still good to go?

Also, how strong really is this stuff? I spilled some of the solution on a bag of cat food and even though I don't think it got in, I would rather play it safe but I'm just wondering if I'm going worrying too much or not.

Thanks in advance.

Its all good. I let my bottles for 20 minutes because I'm multi tasking and I think the cats play in it while i am away.

Alright awesome. I just hear iodine and think I need to rinse this stuff 5 times and make sure it doesn't touch anything. I assumed it was overreacting though. lol

Don't rinse the bottles. If you rinse it after taking it out of the iodine solution, you are risking infection... a small risk, but something I wouldn't do. I believe as soon as the iodine solution leaves the surface of what you are sanitizing (either by drying off or rinsing it off), the surface can become infected again.

Ah alright well I did spray the bottling bucket down because I splashed some concentrated Iodophor towards the top of the bucket by accident but I didn't fill it up or anything like that. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up.

I guess another question I forgot to ask is if my filler and caps are new in their bags, I don't have to sanitize them, right?

Some people do. I have never sanitized a single cap and have never had a problem. I would say at least 300 caps have gone unsanitized, not one problem.

Dust is a contaminate. So yes..sanitize bottle bucket, spigot, tubing, filler, bottles and caps...even if they're new and bagged.

They don't sanitize at the factory ;)

I haven't heard of starsan but I'll have to check it out. I ended up cutting myself trying to figure out a way to sanitize my filler in idophor and went berserker. Long story short I just rinsed them out with hot water from the tap and boiled the caps. Should be fine.....hopefully. Now I just need to figure out how to clean out this carboy.

Out of curiosity, what's the main reason behind sanitizing everything? Is it just to make sure no one gets sick?

greekstallion said:
I haven't heard of starsan but I'll have to check it out. I ended up cutting myself trying to figure out a way to sanitize my filler in idophor and went berserker. Long story short I just rinsed them out with hot water from the tap and boiled the caps. Should be fine.....hopefully. Now I just need to figure out how to clean out this carboy.

Out of curiosity, what's the main reason behind sanitizing everything? Is it just to make sure no one gets sick?

It's to make sure your beer doesn't get sick. Check out the "Post Your Infection" thread.

Back