Quick question about carbonating a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbankert

Reaction score
I'm carbonating my keg using priming sugar, and after blasting CO2 into my keg to get a good seal 2-3 times, i need to know if i'm supposed to bleed out the co2 the final time, or leave it pressurized while it carbonates.

and yes, i do prefer to force carbonate, but my only tank and regulator are hooked up to a different keg that is on draft right now.
thanks for any info!

You could put a WYE or TEE on your gas and hook both up at the same time to finally free you of your priming sugar.

There will be very little difference if you start with a few PSI of pressure prior to the priming solution being fermented out.

It should be fine. Most of the co2 in the headspace will go into solution and the initial pressure should equalize. I would blead off the pressure right before hooking it up to your regulator for serving.

Y:
images

T:
images

Just a few more questions on this. Thinking about natural priming this batch of ARC Wheat. What amount of priming sugar would i use in a 5 gallon corny and how long will cabonation take in 35-40 degrees?

You'd use approx 1/2 the amount of priming sugar you would with bottling.

Also, just like with bottling, you would keep the keg at room temperature (70 degrees) for three weeks to carbonate. It will not naturally carb at fridge temperatures. The yeast would go dormant. Think of a keg as just a really big bottle when you naturally carbonate.

Wait a moment. What was that about 1/2 the amount of priming sugar? Is that always the case when bottling versus kegging? If yes, why?

I'm not really sure of the chemistry of it- it has to do with volume vs. headspace. In a closed container, the headspace fills with co2 as the priming sugar is fermented. The co2 then dissolves into the beer being forced into solution, and then chilling causing it to be even more so. That's the gist of it.

Great info. I have just ordered my first keg system. Been bottle priming for about 2 years now. I really need the info u guys are giving. I can foresee alot of foam and pressure issues just because I am new to it, but coming here will answer alot of questions. Long Live the HomeBrewer!!

Back