quick question about adding too much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTFK

Reaction score
So I brewed an ale a few weeks ago and I usually use a yeast starter but I was on my way to work late that afternoon and I just put the dry yeast in my wort and called it good. I can back to it the next morning and there was no co2 being bleed out of the one way valve. So I just assumed the yeast were dead because I'm dumb anyways that was like 2 and a half weeks ago I haven't been able to make it to my local home brew shop because 1 I have been very busy with life and 2 its a good drive away... anyway today I got some more yeast and I made a starter then added it to my wort then just for the heck of it I checked the SG and I think that it did ferment and there was just a leak on my bucket. My question is it safe to bottle now or should I wait for the yeast to do its thing for week or so.. thanks

If you cold crash it, you might be okay. Otherwise there may be too much yeast in suspension and when you give it the bottling sugar, you could end up with bottle bombs.

If you cold crash it, you might be okay. Otherwise there may be too much yeast in suspension and when you give it the bottling sugar, you could end up with bottle bombs.

No, it's not yeast that creates bottle bombs. It's the amount of sugar. Five ounces of sugar will only ferment as much as five ounces of sugar will ferment, whether there are 200 yeast cells in there, or 200 billion (or more, if more yeast was added).

I'd wait for it to clear, though. You might have a lot of yeast in suspension so I'd wait for it to clear, and the yeast to fall to the bottom, and make sure the gravity reading is the same before bottling.

Back