Quick One-Step questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roasty

Reaction score
It's my first time using One-Step. I was wondering if any of you had some experience with it:

How long does 1-step work? For instance, if I've got some One-Step solution sitting in a sealed cooler, how long will it continue to be an active sanitizer?

Does it work as a mist through a hairspray bottle? Can I spray One-Step on, for instance, my plastic bucket's lid to sanitize it?

Well....

One-step is a slow acting 'sanitizer'...its main use is as a cleanser. You'll wanna invest in Star-san next time.

but to answer your questions...

1. one-step will no longer be active in a week. or less. no real hard evidence on it.
2. No. one-step needs 5 minutes of wet contact time to be effective, so a spray bottle just won't keep it wet long enough.

Now, if you had star-san...it keeps for over a month, especially if you have soft, neutral water used to mix it. And, it works in 30 seconds, so a spray bottle is a great way to apply it. a few guys here actually put it into a garden sprayer that you pump up, and then they can mist everything down.

Back