Quick Lager Fermentation......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
Last week I did a partial mash Sam Adams Boston Lager clone from AustinHomeBrew. My first lager. Made a starter for the German Lager White Lab yeast and pitched it warm, 64 deg. The O.G. was at 1.048, instructions stated around 1.050.

After about 10 hours, signs of fermentation had begun and I slowly, about 1 or 2 deg. an hour set the temp down to 53 deg. I checked the beer after 5 days of fermentation, signs of fermentation had slowed down and I got a reading of 1.016 @ 65 deg. AustinHomeBrew states in their instructions that the F.G. should be around 1.012.

At around 1.016, I was planning on doing a diacetyl rest at around 65 deg. but assumed that it would be done around week two of fermentation.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this quick of a fermentation when lagering? When I checked the gravity last night, it still smelled like yeast, rotten eggs, pretty overpowering. The karusen had fallen, but plenty of bubbles were still surfacing.

Would just like to hear some input from more experienced lager brewers.
Thanks.

Last week I did a partial mash Sam Adams Boston Lager clone from AustinHomeBrew. My first lager. Made a starter for the German Lager White Lab yeast and pitched it warm, 64 deg. The O.G. was at 1.048, instructions stated around 1.050.

After about 10 hours, signs of fermentation had begun and I slowly, about 1 or 2 deg. an hour set the temp down to 53 deg. I checked the beer after 5 days of fermentation, signs of fermentation had slowed down and I got a reading of 1.016 @ 65 deg. AustinHomeBrew states in their instructions that the F.G. should be around 1.012.

At around 1.016, I was planning on doing a diacetyl rest at around 65 deg. but assumed that it would be done around week two of fermentation.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this quick of a fermentation when lagering? When I checked the gravity last night, it still smelled like yeast, rotten eggs, pretty overpowering. The karusen had fallen, but plenty of bubbles were still surfacing.

Would just like to hear some input from more experienced lager brewers.
Thanks.

Sure, if you fermented it warm like that, it'll go really fast. I always pitch at fermentation temperatures (like 48-50 degrees) so mine take longer. Like all yeast, lager yeast like to ferment in warmer temperatures, so I'm guessing that most of the fermentation happened before it even got to 53 degrees. That would also explain the rotten eggs smell. Lager yeast really stink up the place, especially when fermented a little warm!

Don't worry, though- the smell will fade and the taste will improve and the lagering will make it a clean crisp tasting beer!

Do the diacetyl rest now (right now!). You may have missed it, but it's better to try than not. You might consider lagering this for a full 6 weeks to help clean it up with such a warm start. I know the White Labs vial states to pitch it at like 70dF and that is great for the yeast and all, but it will produce a less "clean" lager, which is what you typically want. (It's actually better to pitch cold and warm it up to primary fermentation temps.)

Thanks for the input.

My plan is to do the d-rest as soon as I get home. I will plan on doing the secondary/lagering on Sat and let it sit a full six weeks.

It may not be the cleanest beer, but from what I have sampled so far, it should be quite tasty.

Live n learn, now unFORTUNATLY I need to make another batch to refine my skills.

Again, thanks.
Steve

Back