Quick Keggle Question (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
So I brewed my first beer with the keggle the other night. I used a bayou classic sp 10 burner with an extra grate form an old grill as the surface stabilized by stacks of bricks. Seemed to work just fine.

After the brew I washed the keggle out with soap and water and stuck it in the bathtub to drain.

I am concerned as here is what it looks like today. Notice the discoloration on the bottom - the purple and brown marks from the heat.

Keggle1.jpg

The inside is also slightly discolored but it's kinda hard to see:

Keggle2.jpg

Is this normal? Was the temperature too hot? Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

No worries. They do that when they get very hot. It does look like the burner was a little uneven from the concentration of discoloring in that one section.

No worries. They do that when they get very hot. It does look like the burner was a little uneven from the concentration of discoloring in that one section.

Yeah I didn't notice that until half way through the boil. I will concentrate on evening it out next time.

Thanks for the quick response. I wanted to brew with it again tomorrow, but not if it was going to cause problems

Same thing happens to motorcycle exhausts, but much more intensely.

The discoloration on the outside is normal. If you've used SS xookwear on a gas range you get the same thing over time. The buildup on the inside looks like your getting alittle "beer stone" which I know is a build up of calcium and a couple other things. It can be easily scrubbed out but over time ou might need to get some food grade caustic to clean it if it gets too bad. I've done dozens of batches with mine and still going good.

Latest posts

Back