Quick input needed...How should I hop second runnings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
So my Wee Heavy from Brewmasters Warehouse is half way into its boil. I started taking second runnings to can for future yeast starters. They were coming out VERY strong, so I decided to keep sparging and make a small second runnings batch. I also have some extract I can toss in if needed.

So I want you all to help me decide how to hop it. It is a batch that is just for fun so I don't really care how it turns out. This is the grain bill:
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product-images/8800024.jpg

I have tons of hops on hand...I could make it a noble hopped with all the german hops I have on hand, english hopped, I could do an american IPA style hopping or I could do a mix!

I have magnum and cascades in my freezer in bulk so that is what I am leaning toward. I also have bulk Willamette.

I am a wee bit drunk, don't really care how it turns out and want you guys to just think of some hopping schedule you would never risk your own full batch of beer on!

I am going to dinner at 6 so you have til 7ish to weigh in!

I'd go Willamette and Cascade if it were me. Do you have any idea what the gravity of your parti-gyle is?

So far willamette and cascades it is!

The first of the second runnings were 1.040 and I don't know what the last of the runnings are. I am going to take a reading after dinner to determine if I want to toss in some extract or not...and to determine if I want to top up volume or not!

Cool. Maybe use the Willamette @ 60, 30 min and the cascade @ 15, 5 min...

Just tossing some ideas. Use low amts of each...about a total of 25-35 IBU if your gravity is low - to keep some balance. Unless you hit it with some extract, let the hops rip if you're feeling it.

Good luck, man!

TB

Cool. Maybe use the Willamette @ 60, 30 min and the cascade @ 15, 5 min...

Just tossing some ideas. Use low amts of each...about a total of 25-35 IBU if your gravity is low - to keep some balance. Unless you hit it with some extract, let the hops rip if you're feeling it.

Good luck, man!

TB

Thanks for your input! I have seen that combo referenced on here before but have never done it myself! I have 4 gallons collected now so pending a gravity reading it will stay at 4, or go to 5 with some extract and I'll follow your hop schedule!

Back