Quick help needed on a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBX

Reaction score
Hi all, I have not posted here in some time. I am doing a stout this time and using a starter on the yeast this time. I got the kit from B3 and needed to add some stuff to reach the free shipping -- doesn't it make sense to have more stuff than to pay for shipping? :rockin:

This is my first time with a starter. I added about 1 cup DME and a pinch of the yeast yummy stuff and boiled it in the flask. Let it cool to room temp and pitched the room temp White Labs Calf yeast. It has now been 24 hrs and I see some foam and if I swirl it the foam shows up and goes away in 15 seconds. It's not as violent of a thing as I was expecting. What should I be seeing if all is well?

Tim

not all starter go crazy. do you see any activity in your air lock? last week i did a half gallon starter with my pacman yeast. i was expecting it to blow off and go all nuts. it didnt make a big head of foam but the air lock was very active. when i pitched the yeast into the wort on brew day the air lock was active in 30- 40 min i was very im pressed. well good luck:rockin:

No air lock, just foil over the opening. Yes, I do see activity. I am going to boil the wort tomorrow and use what I have.
Thanks

Tim:ban:

You'll be fine with that starter. If you just have it setting, you may not see much action. The best way to get a mega starter is to build a stir plate and use that to keep your starters oxygenated. But the way you have it will still give you a much better fermentation start than just pitching rehydrated yeast on the wort.

Latest posts

Back