Quick Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OtisLamb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question concerning quick disconnects.

Quick Disconnects – Plastic or stainless fittings that join the plastic keg hose to the keg itself. There are two types – pin and ball connectors corresponding to pin type and ball type Cornelius kegs. The ball type kegs seem to be more common, but it does not really matter which you use as long as the quick disconnect matches your keg type (either ball or pin). For the ball style connectors there is also a difference between the gas side connector and the beer side connector since the two have slightly different sizes on the keg to avoid misconnecting them.

My brew buddy is venturing into the kegging arena. We have heard that Pin Type of connector is on its way out. Yet, the other day, I was at my brew store and he indicated that Ball Type was on its way out. My question is:

Does anyone know which type is going to replace which?

Also, if you wish, which type is "better" than the other?

Since this is a new experience for us, we would like to know which would be the best avenue to pursue, to avoid additional costs to change-over later.

:pipe:

Ball Type Connector.jpg

Pin Type Connector.jpg

I could be wrong, but I don't think either are on their "way out". They were used by Coke and Pepsi to distribute their soda syrups, but they haven't used them for that purpose in years. So they haven't been manufactured (in mass quantity) and there are shortages.

There are companies that are reproducing the ball lock IIRC.

What you may have heard is that the used market for both are drying up which is true, and the price is reflective of that.

So, while one is not going to replace the other, they are both limited in availability. It seems ball lock is/has been the preferred style so those are harder to come by.

If your buddy is just getting into kegging, I would suggest going with 1/6BBL kegs with a sanke adapter. Your up front costs will be a little higher, but you'll save yourself TONS of head ache on possible leaks down the road. I think these things are the wave of the future so to speak.

I would agree with Geoff. Something else to keep in mind is that availability really fluctuates based on your location. Take a look at your local Craigs List and see what people are getting rid of. There tend to be more ball locks near me since there is a Pepsi distribution in state, but the story might be different where you are.

They also sell conversion kits if you really need to switch from one to the other. I haven't used one, but I've seen them in a couple places online.

If your buddy is just getting into kegging, I would suggest going with 1/6BBL kegs with a sanke adapter. Your up front costs will be a little higher, but you'll save yourself TONS of head ache on possible leaks down the road. I think these things are the wave of the future so to speak.
What is a Sanke Adapter?

What is a Sanke Adapter?

So instead of using the disconnects you posted about, you would use this instead. So instead of having 8 (I think) areas that need to be 100% sealed, you'd only need the 1. The kegs are more expensive though, but not by much really anymore and it's easier to start this way than convert later. I know if someone selling them used and he's in the Chicagoland area. If you are, I can pass his info on to you. Let me know.

So instead of using the disconnects you posted about, you would use this instead. So instead of having 8 (I think) areas that need to be 100% sealed, you'd only need the 1. The kegs are more expensive though, but not by much really anymore and it's easier to start this way than convert later. I know if someone selling them used and he's in the Chicagoland area. If you are, I can pass his info on to you. Let me know.
I will do more research on this alternative. Thanks.

Sanke Coupler.jpg

Back