Quick Disconnects for Shirron Plate Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried finding the right parts at McMaster but couldn't.

I want to outfit my new Shirron chiller with quick disconnects. Basically I'll have 1/2" high temp silicon tubing connected to McMaster item 6739K68.

I am looking ofr the female quick disconnect that will thread onto the Shirron plate chiller and also looking for quick disconnects for the water side of the chiller.

'Any help is appreciated in locating the correct McMaster item #'s.

Thanks.

Yea, I thought about getting those. I didn't want plastic, although I am sure they are fine. I wanted stainless steel. More money at the time, but I am happy with them.

Conehead

Hey Bobby what type of chiller you using these days? I know you had a plate chiller a while back..I've been looking into ways top keep it clean...seems like keeping them clean can be tough.

I plan on running hot water through it, then hot Oxy Clean, then bowing excess water out with air compressor...then star san right before I use it again,

Hey Bobby what type of chiller you using these days? I know you had a plate chiller a while back..I've been looking into ways top keep it clean...seems like keeping them clean can be tough.

I plan on running hot water through it, then hot Oxy Clean, then bowing excess water out with air compressor...then star san right before I use it again,

Do I have to answer twice too? ;-)

I have an immersion right now but I'm leaning towards some type of counterflow in the future. I think bagging your hops and backflushing is the key with plate chillers.

I actually just got a steal on a Therminator and am getting set to do this as well. Part of my steal was finding a bunch of QDs for cheap as well...except that they apparently screwed up and ran out of inventory, so I ended up with 7 female and 1 male QD instead of 8 each like I ordered.

Yeah it'll be probably a week or so before I use my new plate chiller, March pump, quick disconnects etc so in the meantime I'll have a chance to think through method and systems for my next AG brew day.

WeirdBoy I assume you've done your homework on cleaning n maintaining a plate chiller based on the # posts you have I'm sure you did. Congrats on scoring a Therminator, I hear they work great but can be a PITA to keep clean, just like all plate chillers..
I was surprised how small the Shirron Plate chiller was when I got it in the mail.

Yeah my main concern is that I have several pounds of pellet hops in the freezer and have found a lot of hops residue and hot/cold break clogging up the filter at the bottom of my BK despite using a hops bag, after I chilled using my IC.

I am going to resolve that issue before I even consider hooking up the Therminator.

I have been looking at building a hop stopper type of device if a finer mesh on the hops bag doesn't work on my next batch.

then bowing excess water out with air compressor...then star san right before I use it again,

I have had the opportunity to open up an air compressor tank.

They are god awful filthy inside. Well, the one I opened up was.
If it can fit through the intake, it was in there. If it can thrive in the dark atmosphere with plenty of Oxygen eating whatever organic got sucked in the intake, then it was in there. I'm pretty sure that it was forming an enlightened and diverse civilization maybe even bordering on space flight. I had to nuke 'em as a preemptive measure.

You're right. Mcmaster doesn't have the 1/2" FPT version of the male side of the QD. You'd have to go with the MPT version and invert it with a 1/2" coupling.

The other alternative is camlocks for a bazillion dollars less than the AHS stainless QD's or the poly ones. http://store.proflowdynamics.com/modules/store/Type-A-Adapter-Stainless-Steel_P356C68.cfm

Those connectors look perfect for my system, but it's hard to tell what the "other end" of the connector really is. For instance - are those NPT threads? And are those hose barbs for 1/2" ID hose? Sure hope so - for the money it's hard to beat those SS cam locks.

Back