quick disconnect question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrewski

Reaction score
Bargainfittings.com has two types of QD's, stainless cam locks and chromed brass that have the retracting sleeve action like air hose.

I've ordered them both, this second type seems much easier to use, more of a one handed operation. They're slightly more expensive, but is there any reason I shouldn't go with these?

The chromed brass disconnects should not be soaked in caustic cleaners or acid sanitizers for extended periods as it will eat the chrome.
This is true for cleaning chrome beer faucets or other chromed fittings.

Functionally they are a little easier to use one handed compared to the camlocks.

I have the camlocks on both my systems but I'm going to switch over to the chromed brass version on my smaller brew system.

I plan on getting them in stainless within a couple months or so.

BargainFittings said:
The chromed brass disconnects should not be soaked in caustic cleaners for extended periods as it will eat the chrome.
This is true for cleaning chrome beer faucets or other chromed fittings.

Functionally they are a little easier to use one handed compared to the camlocks.

I have the camlocks on both my systems but I'm going to switch over to the chromed brass version on my smaller brew system.

I plan on getting them in stainless within a couple months or so.

I'm not a chemist, is oxyclean caustic? PBW? Starsan?

These in stainless would be perfect.

PBW is an alkaline cleaner. But it will remove brass and chrome plating.

Anyone try these yet?

Was thinking of pulling the trigger. Looks like about $150.00 or so to set up my hole system - 4 hoses, 2 pumps, 2 keggles, cooler mash tun, wort chiller....

Was just going to go with 3/8' hose and hose barbs (which I already have). Lot of $$ to fork out but seems like a good investment.

So...what should you clean/sterilize them with??

I've ordered them both, this second type seems much easier to use, more of a one handed operation. They're slightly more expensive, but is there any reason I shouldn't go with these?

The cam locks come with a large silicone washer that requires a little more force to operate. A simple replacement with a silicone o-ring will allow for easy, one hand operation.

Yes standard pbw, oxyclean and starsan can be used to clean / sanitize both types of disconnects.

Just don't soak the chromed brass for days on end or it will eat the chrome.

I have a pile of the camlocks in my system.

Problem is, I keep adding more camlocks on equipment and I keep reordering!

I think I prefer the camlocks, very rarely do I disconnect during a brew day with one hand...

The new white washers are significantly harder to force. Bought some recently and didn't notice till I almost couldn't lock one...

I hope this isn't digging up old news - are the "new" white colored washers in the cam locks odor/taste free? I read that the black ones were not and needed to be replaced...I recently purchased several from pro flow...

Back