Quick disconnect on wrong post while keg conditioning....what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kXb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time kegger rookie mistake! I didn't notice that the gas in post was slightly different than beer out post and got them reversed on my keg. I put gas quick disconnect (QD) on and pressurized in order to keg condition at room temp. Now I'm having trouble getting the QD off. I know others have done this successfully so what is the trick? I'm trying not to break the QD.

Once I get the QD off, I need to switch the posts which will obviously result in losing pressure on the keg. I will re-pressurize, place in the keezer and hope to have it ready to drink after a few days of chilling. Will I have lost all carbonation from the post trade out? If so, what do I need to do to save this batch?

Thanks!

Im a little confused about your current setup.
Your grey gas disconnect is stuck on the liquid out post, it will come off, but take a few obscenities and effort.
Did you put the liquid out post on the side with the full length dip tube? If so all you'd have to do is put the disconnects on the proper post. If not, you could just make the grey gas in your liquid out post for this one time and tape a note on the keg to change it later..

I've done it too. You can pull it off, and just switch back. I made a bit of a mess because the beer went into the gas line. But everything worked out. I just pulled it off, cleaned it up, and switched to the right posts.

Not a big deal. Purge the gas out, swap the QDs, and put it back in service. There is plenty of CO2 in there to keep the air out if you are careful.

OR, you could swap the ends on your gas and liquid lines until that keg is kicked.

Your choice.

Im a little confused about your current setup.
Your grey gas disconnect is stuck on the liquid out post, it will come off, but take a few obscenities and effort.
Did you put the liquid out post on the side with the full length dip tube? If so all you'd have to do is put the disconnects on the proper post. If not, you could just make the grey gas in your liquid out post for this one time and tape a note on the keg to change it later..

I put the liquid out post on the short gas in tube and put the grey gas QD on it. There is currently nothing (stuck) on the other post (which is the gas in post on the long liquid out dip tube).

I guess I'll just have to wrestle the grey QD off and do the switch. Not making that mistake again. I have all my other kegs clearly labeled on the post. Now to find a 12 pointed socket to take off one that I received backwards already.

Thanks

The black disconnect wont get stuck on the gas post. you could just connect it and tape a note to the keg to change the posts when the keg is empty.

Just an FYI, the GAS posts are almost always the ones with a small cut around the base.

gasposts.jpg

Back