Quick Cyser yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Doe

adrbrewer
Reaction score
I'm going to make two one gallon batches of Cyser Mead and I have D47 and 71B yeast on hand. Which of these would be best?
Temps will be low to mid 60's.

Thanks in advance.

Why would a transformation from malic to lactic reduce the TA? It will reduce the pH.. but the same amount of acid will still be in the cyser, won't it?

Hi John Doe,

I would use 71b because it inhances fruit notes. Especially dark fruits and berries.

Why would a transformation from malic to lactic reduce the TA? It will reduce the pH.. but the same amount of acid will still be in the cyser, won't it?

No yeast can convert malic to lactic acid. That would be MLF, and only malolactic bacteria can do that.

71B-1122 and Lallemand SVG convert malic acid into ethanol and CO2. The net result is simply a lowering of acid levels. That's why they're recommended for "high acid" wines. There's a thread on the Google cider group where Claude Jolicoeur did experiments with 71B and reported a measurable drop in TA.

We've had this discussion before. You seem to be hung up on the word "metabolizes". Substitute "consumes" for that and you'll understand 71B.

I am hung up on the fact that the lab that produces 71B states that that yeast converts malic to lactic. http://catalogapp.lallemandwine.com/uploads/yeasts/docs/fb7de2b9d2294a079dcfd3339362606d478daace.pdf

How do you read this page, Maylar? My British English suggests that 71B DOES convert malic to lactic but your US English may read the paragraph differently.
But insofar as this yeast DOES metabolize malic that is why after about 6-9 months of aging apple cider or wine tastes very different - far more smooth. But that said I have to admit that I have not performed a chromatography test that I can then show you that lactic acid is present and malic has been significantly removed

IMG_7535.jpg

I see no lactic

Hello! I have had really good experience with D-47 going into my cysers. Out of curiosity, is your recipe just apple juice with honey added to it? or are you adding water as well? and are you planning on halting fermentation before it completely ferments out the sugar?

I'm using 2# of honey, one Apple, one cinnamon stick, two cloves, yeast nutrient, and filling the gallon with all cider. My plan is to ferment one out and if needed step feed one if necessary to have a sweet finish fermented out.
My sg was 1.120 to start. I'm to new at this to have a clue what I'll end up doing.

I am hung up on the fact that the lab that produces 71B states that that yeast converts malic to lactic. http://catalogapp.lallemandwine.com/uploads/yeasts/docs/fb7de2b9d2294a079dcfd3339362606d478daace.pdf

How do you read this page, Maylar? My British English suggests that 71B DOES convert malic to lactic but your US English may read the paragraph differently.
But insofar as this yeast DOES metabolize malic that is why after about 6-9 months of aging apple cider or wine tastes very different - far more smooth. But that said I have to admit that I have not performed a chromatography test that I can then show you that lactic acid is present and malic has been significantly removed

I read it as Mark noted above, malo-ethanolic fermentation - the conversion from malic acid to ethanol. Not the same as malo-lactic fermentation. Nowhere in Lalvin's specs do they say otherwise. The only reference to MLF is they say 71B is "highly compatible" with malolactic bacteria.

My own experience with it is that a cider starting at TA of 0.5 g/l ended up needing acid added at bottling to bring it back into balance. The yeast did as advertised - it removed acid. This observation is confirmed by Claude Jolicoeur, as I said.

As for your claim that cider with 71B gets smoother with age, it is entirely possible for MLF to occur after fermentation, but that's due to the bacteria not the yeast.

Gah!!!! When you are right you are right. :oops::oops::oops:All these years!! I read malo-lactic for malo-ethanolic. Thanks for the education. Seriously. Thank you.

Back