Quick carbonating / questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have seen videos on YouTube that show people force carbonation beer so it is ready in hours, not days.

One method I saw was pump the keg to 40, agitate for 5 min, and repeat the process 3 times.

Another was set to 30, let sit (refrigerated) over night, set serving pressure next morning, and may be good go.

This is my first time kegging, and I don’t want to mess uP my batch, but would like this asap as I have friends coming over.

Can someone suggest one of the methods mentioned above, or if neither, recommend one?

Also, if I try open of these with no luck, am I able to go back to “set it and forget it”?

Thanks

If you have had it at 30PSI for a couple days you may have over carbonated it already. I would switch to serving pressure.

No problem sneaking a taste, but might want to do that at serving pressure. I understand your curiosity but if you are able to allow the beer to carb slowly with the "set and forget" method your patients will be reward.

If you have had it at 30PSI for a couple days you may have over carbonated it already. I would switch to serving pressure.

No problem sneaking a taste, but might want to do that at serving pressure. I understand your curiosity but if you are able to allow the beer to carb slowly with the "set and forget" method your patients will be reward.

Yeah- I plan on going down to serving pressure tomorrow and checking it. It’s been at 30 for only 6 hours now.

My quick-carb method is to keg early in the morning, into a chilled keg. Purge the headspace with the regulator set at 30, then leave it at least 5 hours. Then I'll pull the PRV two or three times throughout the rest of the day (depending on how full the keg is), and leave it overnight. The next morning I'll purge out the extra co2 with the valve closed at the manifold, and set to serving pressure. Usually plenty carbed up by then and ready to serve. No shaking necessary.

Back