questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
I have a couple questions for my next batch. I am making a wit from an Austin Homebrew Kit. I was thinking about splitting off a gallon into each of 2 1 gal jugs and trying some different flavorings or fruit or something on those. Since there isnt typically a secondary on wheat type beers what would be the best way to do this? Should I split off each of the gallons and ferment them in the gal jugs and have 3 gal in a carboy, or maybe ferment for a couple days at 5 gal then split the 2 gal off?

It shouldn't make much of a difference, and you sure wouldn't want to have three beers that all fermented completely differently. It would be hard to pitch the right amount of yeast for each of the containers, or make sure the wort was mixed perfectly, etc. In other words, do what hb99 said.

It would, but you can always rouse the yeast from the bottle as you would a Hefe Weizen/Wit if you want.

Since it is already a Wit I wouldn't add anything to it.

For future reference, if you really want to try flavoring you should just brew a plain old ale instead of a specialty brew.

Back