questions with a couple beers I brewed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I've got two beers fermenting. I want to know how/when to finish them.

The first is the stout in my signature. It was a lighter grain bill with an OG of 1.038 and fermenting with Wyest 1084. I'm not going to secondary it. Assuming fermentation is done at 2 weeks can I bottle it?

The second is something of an ESB--the other link in my signature. It was what I consider a normal grain bill with an OG of 1.052, and fermenting with Wyest 1098. Could I bottle at 2 weeks, or should I secondary for 2 weeks after 1 in the primary if the specific gravity is correct?

Why not leave them both in the primary for 4 weeks or so? Easier than transferring to a secondary (which really isn't necessary) and the quality of the beer will be better than if you had bottled at 2 weeks.

Haha, I just agreed with Ace about not transferring to secondary on another thread. I'll do it again. However, I'd say three weeks is sufficient in primary for an average strength ale- assuming a good healthy fermentation. I haven't noticed a difference in my beers that have sat in primary for three weeks vs. four weeks vs. five weeks. I HAVE noticed a very positive difference in beers that were in primary for at least for three weeks versus transferring them out too quickly.

I HAVE noticed a very positive difference in beers that were in primary for at least for three weeks versus transferring them out too quickly.

This is such a true statement. I have my pipeline set up were my beers will sit for about a month, sometimes even longer before they get kegged.

I do not reccomend bottling at two weeks. It just doesn't seem like enough time. To be sure, check your gravity! I never bottle anything that hasn't been in primary for at least 4 weeks. The one time I did bottle in a shorter time period I had bottle bombs like you wouldn't believe.

Haha, I just agreed with Ace about not transferring to secondary on another thread. I'll do it again. However, I'd say three weeks is sufficient in primary for an average strength ale- assuming a good healthy fermentation. I haven't noticed a difference in my beers that have sat in primary for three weeks vs. four weeks vs. five weeks. I HAVE noticed a very positive difference in beers that were in primary for at least for three weeks versus transferring them out too quickly.

For an average gravity beer, the general rule of thumb is 1-2-3. One week primary, 2 weeks secondary, three weeks in bottles, minimum. Many people on here get better results by extending the primary time or just three weeks in primary, then bottle.

Back