Questions re: citric acid and spices (clove)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XnFM

Reaction score
So I'm going to be starting my second batch of mead within the next couple days. I was really happy with my first batch, but I want to try something a little different this time. I'm thinking about adding just enough apple juice (most likely concentrate) to give just a hint of apple flavor and clove.

I normally brew cider, and my preferred base product is Safeway brand juice concentrate. It's inexpensive, consistent, readily available, and the only additive is citric acid, which works out nicely when you're shooting for a dry cider. I would like to stick to a product I know to help identify any flaws in my final recipe but I don't know how the citric acid will affect my final product when making a mead. Specifically, I don't think this flavor profile will benefit from having a sharp, tangy edge. I'm thinking I'll want to use ~ 1 - 1.5 (family size) cans of concentrate per gallon, which will add enough sugar for ~ 3 - 4.5% abv. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about the amount of citric acid this will add to my mead? Should i consider a different product?

My second question is what would be the best method for adding clove? My gut instinct is that I should make a tea and incorporate it into the initial must, but I don't know if I would be better off using whole cloves or adding them later in the process.

I'd really appreciate any help or insight anyone could provide.

thanks,
-XnFM

You can use 100% cider with vitamin C with no worries. The yeast eat all the vitamin C in ferment. As long as there is no sulfites, sorbates, or benzoates, you are fine.

Cloves are powerful. You can add them after ferment and taste weekly to determine when to rack off cloves.

Better brewing through science!

You can use 100% cider with vitamin C with no worries. The yeast eat all the vitamin C in ferment. As long as there is no sulfites, sorbates, or benzoates, you are fine.

Cloves are powerful. You can add them after ferment and taste weekly to determine when to rack off cloves.
99% spot on there Bray. The citric acid used as a preservative in the juice concentrate mentioned by the OP, has the possibility of adding a citric/lemony type hint. Vitamin C isn't consumed. It's ascorbic acid, which is often added as a preservative/anti-oxidant, but it does break down easily. Its one of the elements present naturally in many fruit as you know, but as soon as the fruit is processed, it starts to break down - ergo it's added at higher than normal levels for it's preservative/anti-oxidant properties - plus the marketing nazis get to advertise it with "added vitamins"........

Personally I don't like to add citric acid to my brews, I find more enjoyable flavours if I use Acton and Duncans idea from their "Making Mead" book i.e. a mix of 2 parts malic to 1 part tartaric - well usually I use that mix anyway.

It likely won't matter much either way, as we all learn new tricks - the other week I was drinking a glass of a mediocre to OK level mead - I wanted to make it a longer drink and the only thing in the fridge was some "fizzy lemonade". So of course, I just topped the glass up with it......

The lemonade was just what the mead needed (or what it what I needed ? :D ). The whole drink with that slight lemony/citric hint was marvelous :rockin:

Ha! we all like different stuff though

Ha! we all like different stuff though
Right on!!! :cool: I have a peach pyment that is pretty good on it's own, but for a "lighter" beverage, mix it with a lil Sprite or 7-UP and it's pretty danged good...wife loves it. I have a strong sorta-kinda skeeter pee mead starting to clear (a lemon-lime one as well), am thinking, Hmmmmm, this might go well in some iced tea....different strokes, and all

Back