Questions, questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
I boiled my third batch ever last night. (1 can Munton's Export Stout LME, approx 2.5 lbs DME, can't remember what it was but it's what the guy at the HMS gave me when I said I wanted to do a stout) Boiled an hour, cooled in an ice bath, about 20 minutes to 90F, and into the primary with two packets of proofed yeast (again what the HB store guy recommended). This morning, checked the temp, was 75F in the closet and there was a mild explosion on the wall. The water bubbler was clogged and the bucket was FULL. (At least I've got a good seal.) I cleaned everything up, covered the primary in a wet towel and put a fan on it (temp now at 63F).
A of Couple questions:
-Did the extra packet of yeast have anything to do with the build up of excess pressure?
-Why would the Guy at the store suggest an extra packet?
-In my first batch, my fermentation temps were in the high 70's. Is approx 12 hours at 75 enough to get "fruity"?
I'm not on the verge of throwing anything out, on the contrary I kind of want to go and get the exact same recipe and try again with only one packet of yeast just to see what happens...

Your explosion was probably caused by the temperatures. Pitching at 90 degrees and then sticking in the closet probably kept the temp pretty high. It was probably more than 75 degrees for quite a while. He probably suggested two packages to help to decrease your lag time. It should be ok now that you've cooled it down, but yes, it could be estery.

Next time, cool the wort to 70 and then pitch your yeast. I would rehydrate one pack of dry yeast in 80 degree water while brewing, and then pitch it when both are room temperature.

Lorena

OK, good to know. I need to invest some time and effort in a wort chiller I think. The ice bath is a pain in the butt.
Addendum- about 20 minutes after getting everything settled again, I hear a gurlging from across the room and investigate, Clogged again. Clean it out again, re sanitize the air-lock and this time I scooped out the foam. I guess we'll see if that does anything.
Man, I need a nice cool basement. This thrid floor apartment is just too hard to control, temp wise.

beer4breakfast said:
You could use a blowoff tube until the period of high activity is done. This is just a vinyl tube that fits the airlock opening in your fermenter tightly. You need about 3..5 to 4 feet. You put the other end in a bucket of sanitizer, so it acts like a big airlock. Any excess kraeusen will blow off into the bucket of sanitizer and won't make a big exploding mess in your closet.

You took the words right out of my mouth, though my blow-off tube is rather ghetto. I got the thing cleaned up yet again and retired to the bathroom for some good quality Sunday-morning-in-the-john-with-the-paper time. No sooner was I ensconced with this week's Sudoku when I heard a POP! from the other room. My beautiful bride tells me, through the closed door (some things are sacred, even in marriage), that "the air thingy popped off again." Swearfest 2007 ensues.
None of my hoses fit the airlock. "Think, and quickly, it's bubbling over right now!" I say to myself between profanities. The only thing I have on hand that will fit the plug for my primary (williams plastic bucket) is my priming cane. So, I quickly stick it through the plug, jam it in and... began siphoning all the would-be beer into my nicely prepeared bucket of sanitizer. *%!^&!!! Pull the Siphon out of the plug slowly until only foam comes out... OK, I can breath again. It reaches a foot and half into the air before slowly meandering back down to earth and sanitizer, but at least its controlled now. This thing looks ridiculous, but I am a firm beliver in "If it's stupid, but it works, it ain't stupid." SO, I think I can finally relax for now and only wait with baited breath to find out badly I have ruined it by making yet another batch "fruity" in the sauna I like to call home. Wish me luck.

Score at half-time: Beer 3 Andy 0

This is probably going to be the best beer ever, and you'll spend the rest of your life trying to recreate it. Now that the blow off is in place, the fermentation will probably stop! No, just kidding. ;)

Lorena

Back