Questions on transferring for Primary to bottling bucket with priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My local home brew shop said (with the equipment I have) is to:

1) Prepare priming sugar with 1/2 cup of water. And pour into bottom of bottling bucket (5 gallons).

2) Siphon from primary (5 gallon batch) to bottling bucket, and priming sugar will naturally mix in without stirring & causing aeration.

3) Bottle in individual bottles and cap.

Is this a proper technique to use to ensure even carbonation and overall good bottling techniques?

Also,
I have a 5 gallon batch and 5 gallon bottling bucket. Will I be pushing the brim of bucket or should I be fine?

Thanks home brewers,
- Lashack

That's pretty much the gist of it. You could, after transferring the beer to the bottling bucket, use a sanitized long spoon and SLOWLY stir the beer and the sugar water to mix. As long as you do not splash the beer which can lead to oxidation, it will help evenly distribute.

with the 5-gallon thing, I'm 99% certain you have a bucket SIZED for 5gal batches. That is, the 5gal mark is below the rim of it. Every bottling bucket I've ever come across can hold 6.5gal at the rim

Use a priming sugar calculator like this one to dial in your carb levels
northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

You should measure the priming sugar by weight. Every beer is different and just tossing 1/2 cup of sugar might be too much. There's several calculators available online. Also, boil the water and add the sugar and boil a few more minutes to sanitize it all. Other than that it sounds good.

Back