Questions on Timing: From Wort To Drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
I know that the process timing is different from brew to brew but I noticed in another thread people saying the process (for them) is about roughly 7-8 weeks before it's ready. My problem is that the instructions on my kit says 7-10 days in primary followed by 2-3 weeks in bottles. It's an all wheat malt heffeweizen that started at 1.050 in wort.

My first brew is 5 days in on primary so I'm already in waiting mode. I'm not against waiting 7-8 weeks at all, just want to try to do this right on my first try.

tl;dr
My heffeweizen kit instructions say 4-5 weeks while it seems like the norm on the forums is 7-8 weeks. Which should a brand new home brewer follow? :confused:

Meh, everyone is different, and it completely depends on the beer.

As far as time in primary... Check it after a week and see where the gravity is at, if its at where it should be for the FG, wait a couple more days and check it again. If it is the same, then bottle it up. Most people here say 3 weeks for bottle conditioning, and that's not a terrible thing to say as it's a good "rule" to go by but it doesn't always take 3 weeks to carb. Just don't come on here after a week asking why the bottles aren't carbed after a week. :drunk:

Everything I've read on the forums leads me to think 5 to 6 weeks from Boil to drinking.

I'm checking my FG Saturday for the first time on a boil I did on the 29th of Dec. and I am planning on dry hopping then bottling sometime next week. Will drink in two weeks.

Well, sorry to tell you but in this hobby there can be broad differences of opinion, ie there might not be one right or correct answer.

You need to figure out what works best for your fermentation, your recipe, your equipment, your dedication/time and your experience level.

Kit instructions can be poor and reflect old information. Who made the kit?

Your beer is ready to be bottled when it is ready. It can take 3 days (well not really) or 3 weeks depending on how much yeast you pitch, your ability to control fermentation and many other factors like recipe, freshness of grain/extract, type of yeast, whether you are dry hopping, adding fruit. I could go on.

Safe bet for new brewer is 2 -3 weeks to ferment. If it tastes OK after 14 days or so and the FG is stable for 3 days and is about 1.016 or lower, then have at it.

You can't get around the wait time for carbonation in bottles-- it is "usually" 3 weeks at 70* and some beers take more time. But see: Others can drink em early and others like to wait longer.
good luck! and welcome to the obsession.
Wendy

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond!

Most people here say 3 weeks for bottle conditioning, and that's not a terrible thing to say as it's a good "rule" to go by but it doesn't always take 3 weeks to carb. Just don't come on here after a week asking why the bottles aren't carbed after a week. :drunk:

Ha! I promise :)

Everything I've read on the forums leads me to think 5 to 6 weeks from Boil to drinking.

That sounds a lot more like what I would have assumed the process to take. Thanks!

Kit instructions can be poor and reflect old information. Who made the kit?

This kit was put together by American Brewmaster. It's a local (to me) shop that came highly recommended.

Safe bet for new brewer is 2 -3 weeks to ferment. If it tastes OK after 14 days or so and the FG is stable for 3 days and is about 1.016 or lower, then have at it.

That sounds like a good plan. I'm going to give it a go.

The other complication is beer with process flaws can clean up the off flavors a little given more time for the yeast to work. So in the beginning it can really help to primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle for 3 weeks. Experienced brewers with their process dialed in don't makes the mistakes that create the off flavors and can package a lot sooner, like 8-10 days then bottle (or keg) condition for the time period they know works for them or that particular beer. I'm in between those 2 examples right now.

To make it simple for your first beer. I'd just wait 2 weeks, take a grav sample. Wait a couple days, take another. If same, bottle. Then (because you can't stand it anymore!) at one week put one bottle in the fridge for 2 days then try it. It will probably be about 2/3rds carbed and taste decent. That will tide you over to wait the final week and a half to 2 weeks to hit the 3 week in the bottle mark when they will be ready. The longer they chill in the fridge, they better they get also. After at least 3 weeks (to a few months or more) in the bottle and 2 weeks in the fridge they should be very nice.

Control your fermentation temp, pitch a proper amount of yeast by using a starter, and aerate properly. For a hefe, if you do those things, you can give it around 5 days after it hits FG before bottling. In most cases, that can be 8-10 days total. Then see what happens with the bottle carbonation. Some yeast go nuts in the bottle and are done with the sugars in a few days. If that's the case, then after a week or two in the bottle, they could be perfect. The last hefeweizen I made was fully carbed in 3 days. It was perfect after a week in the bottle and a couple days in the fridge.

smart start with the heffe. its got a fast turn from pitch to glass.
Id go 2/2/1 on. 2 weeks in primary and 3 days of stable SG. 2 weeks in a bottle at 70* 1 week in the fridge.

Just to give an update...

I tested the gravity and today (1 week in primary). It's currently at 1.010 and smells delicious! It seems to be at about 4%. One odd thing I noticed is it looks like some of the yeast moved to the sides of the bucket? The rest (I can see) is all on the top. Anything to be worried about there?

Latest posts

Back