Questions on sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkilduff22

Reaction score
Can anyone help me. I'm looking to buy a sparge to start all grain brewing. I have looked all over my sources on the internet and can't find what I'm looking for. If anyone knows where I can find the sparger on the show Brew Dogs could they let me know.

Thanks
Joe

A sparge is not a thing. It's a process. Sparging is adding water to the mash bed either in volume stages (batch sparging) or continuously either by gravity or by pump (fly sparging). There is endless info on both of these and other "no sparge" processes throughout the site.

Thanks Lando didn't realize they where that expensive. May have to resort to something else for now.

Lincoln, you should have also wrote that its probably overkill as well. LOL. Joking Joking...

OP: I would suggest reading up on Sparging on Palmers How To Brew website, or go on over to the Electric Brewery and see how Kal does it on his setup... You often don't need highly specialized equipment, rather most times, gravity and flow control via valves to fly sparge.

Now if you are talking about just batch sparging... You don't need any of that. Denny Conn has a great little write up on that as well. Just mash in for your first infusion. After the designated time 45-90 minutes, you run that off till clear and recirculate (voirlauf) and then drain completely into your boil kettle and then you Mash Out with a 170*ish water on top to rinse the sugars. There are little calculators out there to help you, but this is just the general explanation.

Definitely read up to understand the different processes. Many AG brewers start with Batch sparging because you don't need a lot of extra equipment and its a shorter brew day with it.

Thanks Lando didn't realize they where that expensive. May have to resort to something else for now.

Probably the cheapest and easiest way to get into all grain brewing is using a technique called Brew In A Bag (BIAB). There is a sub-forum in the All Grain forum on the topic. Basically the only thing you need to buy is a mesh bag, like a paint strainer bag from Home Depot or Lowe's. There are a lot of ways to do BIAB, but the classic way does not require any sparging at all. You heat the water in your boil kettle, put the bag and the grain into the kettle, soak for an hour or so, remove the bag and grain, and voila, you're ready to start the boil.

Probably the cheapest and easiest way to get into all grain brewing is using a technique called Brew In A Bag (BIAB). There is a sub-forum in the All Grain forum on the topic. Basically the only thing you need to buy is a mesh bag, like a paint strainer bag from Home Depot or Lowe's. There are a lot of ways to do BIAB, but the classic way does not require any sparging at all. You heat the water in your boil kettle, put the bag and the grain into the kettle, soak for an hour or so, remove the bag and grain, and voila, you're ready to start the boil.

Excellent suggestion!:tank:

Back