Questions on my next Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing a wheat beer and I want to know if my selection will go well together.

I will use

Morgans Gold Sheaf Wheat

Here is where the questions come in.

Is this pre hopped? Does wheat beers even use hops? If so what kind of additional hops can I add?

Yeast, should I use the yeast provided or should I use this:

Safbrew WB-06 Ale Yeast : The US release of this highly-anticipated dry yeast selected for wheat beer fermentations. WB-06 produces estery and phenol notes typical of Bavarian-style wheat beers. Flocculation: low Final gravity: high. Optimum temp: 59°-75° F

Do I use DME or Dextrose or both?

I will also add some coriander and some sort of orange zest or actual blood orange not sure yet.

What kind of grain would be good for a partial mash in addition to what im making here?

I am sorry for all the questions but I have to order this online so I cant ask the store owner for advice! So far I have only made an ale so if there is a different in brewing procedure feel free to mention it. THANKS SO MUCH.

First off, is there a reason you are using these type of kits? What kind of yeast is provided? Personally I'm not a fan of the kit beers but I think that's because I can do so much more with very little extra work. Take a look at Homebrewer-99's hefe and see where you might have some difficulty. I've made one batch without steeping grains and it seemed a little light.

Is there an existing kit you are looking at or are you trying to put the recipe together from scratch? If its a kit, what is the recipe and what about it do you want to change (that could give us a sense of the ingredients to suggest). If you're putting a recipe together, I'd make the same suggestion as Neon and look at some of the recipes on this site first.

I used to use morgans kits because they were the only thing available to me. The golden sheaf wheat was one of the last kits I ever did, and it turned out ok.

These kits are pre-hopped, I never added additional hops (only because I didnt know where to buy any) but I think they could REALLY benefit from some extra hopping.

I also used the yeast that came with the kit, but would definitely recommend using a strain made for a wheat.

I used 1 kg dextrose with these, but could always detect the apply cider flavor from the corn sugar. Using light DME would improve it vastly, they are interchangeable weight for weight.

Hope this helps. I brewed for several years using these kits until one day, while drinking a stout I though "this tastes exactly the same as every other Morgans kit" and decided to make the transition to all grain.

If you guys actually read my post, everything is outlined. Yes this is a kit.

I am using this kit because here in Canada, our options really, really suck. This is the best supplier I could find and yet he had only ONE option. and its an ONLINE store so i can not ask him for advice. Please read my post. thanks.

Yes I have read your post, and attempted to give you useful information.
1) Pre-hopped kits, however you can still add any hops as you choose, but sazz seems to be a good addition:
http://www.hbkitreviews.com/view-id-1-Morgans--Golden-Sheaf-Wheat-Beer.html
2)Safbrew WB-06 Ale Yeast would be better then the yeast that comes with the kit. It will actually contribute the ester notes characteristic of a wheat, whereas the kit yeast is a generic ale yeast which doesn't impact the flavor in my experience.
3) Morgans kits are designed to be brewed with nothing more then additional corn sugar or DME. That said, corn sugar may be nice as the cidery flavors could compliment a wheat. However, wheat DME would likely be the best. If you wanted to do a partial mash then simply find a wheat partial recipe and use the morgans kit as the LME along with the grain. Check the Recipe section under wheat and rye beer, there are several good extract recipes where you could likely sub the morgans kit for the LME they call for.
Hope something here helped.

Hey Jim

Very helpfull information, didnt mean for anyone to get offended by my comments, im not used to typing sometimes i come across blunt! :)

I have heard Wheat beers finish faster then ales is this true? Im in no rush anyhow

Back