Questions on my hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThaDutchMasta

Reaction score
I've taken two readings in the last 3 days and they were only different by .002, the original gravity was about 1.082 and the reading today was 1.022, its been a week and a half since its been in the primary.

im confused how to calculate the alcohol % with these numbers even after reading the How to Brew book. it is an partial mash/extract fat tire clone. it tastes pretty good, especially for not being cold or carbonated! I actually can't believe it... can't wait till its bottled

Hmmmm, 1.082 seems really high for a Fat Tire Clone. I'm wondering if your wort was properly mixed when you took the OG reading. The only reason I mention it is that it may artificially increase what you think the ABV is.

Sea said:
(OG - FG) x 1.05/.79 = ABV
Huh?

The instructions with my AHB Fat Tire extract says (OG-FG)131=ABV%

Using the 1.05 OG and 1.012 FG that my kit says is average, your method results in 5.05 %abv, and AHB's comes out to 4.978 %abv.

Is your equation a more accurate way?

Back