Questions for Planning First Pressure Fermented Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csample

Reaction score
Hi!

I am planning to brew my first pressure fermented lager this weekend and need help sorting out my plan.

Base recipe is Marzen from "Brewing Classic Styles" by Zainasheff and Plamer. I will be brewing a 1/2 batch.

I will be using Saflager S-23 yeast, and fermenting in my 60 degree basement (I don't have the ability to chill cooler in a controlled fashion hence the pressure fermentation). I expect this will produce a maximum temperature of ~65 deg. during active fermentation.

Question 1 - Given this fermentation temperature, should I pitch the yeast at an ale pitching rate of 5.5g into 2.5 gallons or should I use the lager rate of 11g into 2.5 gallons?

To achieve the pressurized fermentation I plan to initially charge my 3 gallon keg to 15 psi using my CO2 tank and regulator and then change to a spunding valve and bleed down to 10 psi for the duration of the fermentation. I am not yet equipped to either bottle carbonated beer or serve from the keg, so after two weeks of pressurized fermentation I plan to relieve the pressure, add fining gelatin, pressurize to a few psi and cold crash using outdoor ambient temps in the 30-40's. I will keep the beer in these outdoor ambient temperatures for 2-3 weeks for "lagering" but I am sure that there will be some warmer days and colder nights mixed in. I know this is not ideal, but hope that it will be acceptable.

Question 2 - Any problems with my plan for fining and cold crashing?

Question 3 - Will the daily temperature variations be a problem for the "lagering"?

Question 4 - Are there any unique sanitizing requirements for fermenting in a Keg? I plan to fully disassemble and sanitize all the posts, PRV and o-rings with StarSan. Is this good enough?

All suggestions and thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!

Thanks balrog, searching the last post you mentioned answers my question about the pitching rate. It looks like I can use the higher lager pitching rate (1 pack per 2.5 gallons) without negative consequences.

Back