Questions for first batch Of Caramel Hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
Hello, I just have a few questions before I transfer my cider to secondary and bottle a few days later...

1. I have heard you can use starsan in a spray bottle, How do you get the inside of things with just a spray bottle?

2. I see that some people recommend cleaning and sanitizing in the dishwasher... Is this what I should do or should I rinse them in starsan? Also I have to delabel a few of them (some are new, some aren't). To delablel I can just leave in oxyclean or 1 step cleaner over night right? That counts for cleaning too, instead of using the dishwasher? Also I have to rinse after oxyclean right?

3. My OG came in around 1.042 without sugar added and 1.050 with sugar. Does that seem right for my recipe(https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/caramel-apple-hard-cider-292770/)? I don't know the liquid temp, but room temp was 77 degrees Fahrenheit. It was tough to take readings because I didn't yet have a wine thief or hydrometer holder.

4. I bought a wine thief to make taking readings easier. I know you have to sanitize everything, but what is the easiest way to just sanitize this bit alone? I mean I don't want to have to fill a bucket with water and starsan everytime I take a reading... Surely, there must be a better way right?

5. Also would I be able to get away with storing some cider in a carlos Rossoti 1 gallon wine jug?

6. When do I know when to pasteurize? I can cold crash if I'd rather right?

Any help is greatly appreciated :).

#1 ...Starsan in a squirt bottle works great for doing a cpl of things rather than mixing a bucket full like doing your thief. Remember it is a contact sanitizer, spray a
little on the inside and let it run down.

#2....There is Cleaning and there is sanitizing......two separate steps. I wouldn't trust the dishwasher to clean the inside of bottles. I like to soak bottles in a sink full of warm oxy clean water. Oxy clean should be double or even triple rinsed. One of these gizmos http://www.letsdowine.com/bosasu.html is invaluable for sanitizing.

#3......Don't really know??? seems pretty sweet to me. I used 1/2 the sweetener in my lone batch and it was plenty sweet for me.

#4......see #1.

#1 ...Starsan in a squirt bottle works great for doing a cpl of things rather than mixing a bucket full like doing your thief. Remember it is a contact sanitizer, spray a
little on the inside and let it run down.

#2....There is Cleaning and there is sanitizing......two separate steps. I wouldn't trust the dishwasher to clean the inside of bottles. I like to soak bottles in a sink full of warm oxy clean water. Oxy clean should be double or even triple rinsed. One of these gizmos http://www.letsdowine.com/bosasu.html is invaluable for sanitizing.

#3......Don't really know??? seems pretty sweet to me. I used 1/2 the sweetener in my lone batch and it was plenty sweet for me.

#4......see #1.
Okay thanks.

2. I don't have one of those gizmos, so what is the easiest way to ensure they are properly sanitized for now? How long does it take for the star san to dry up?
3. Yeah I think it is supposed to be sweet, but that was all before fermentation, I haven't taken a final reading (or any readings after that first day).

4. Okay so I can just use a spray bottle on my thief cool :).

And any suggestions for qs 5 and 6?

6. Put the last bit of cider when bottle long into a soda bottle and store with the rest when this becomes firm(like its filled with soda). You can cold crash this but it is supposedly better if you pasteurize because it reduces the chance of a bottle bomb.

5. As a still cider or carbed up? If its still then It doesn't matter. But if it is carbed then as long as the bottle and cork can hold the pressure you will be fine

6. Put the last bit of cider when bottle long into a soda bottle and store with the rest when this becomes firm(like its filled with soda). You can cold crash this but it is supposedly better if you pasteurize because it reduces the chance of a bottle bomb.

5. As a still cider or carbed up? If its still then It doesn't matter. But if it is carbed then as long as the bottle and cork can hold the pressure you will be fine

It is a still cider(I added 5 campden tablets). So can I pasteurize right away or should I still wait a little?

Back