Questions before bottling a Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDevlin75

Reaction score
Hey folks!

Okay, so I had brewed up a honey tripel awhile back. After being in the primary for about a month until the bubbling stopped, I racked to 2ndary. Let's say that it's been about 6 weeks since then... Anyway, multiple other projects around the house are in between me and bottling day... I know that it's not THAT big of a deal if I let it go a week or two more, right? I'm not terribly worried about that.

But my questions are:

1) Would you add dry yeast at bottling at this point (or let's say at the 2 month mark)? And if so, with what? And furthermore....

2) Can I get away with bottling normally with caps, or should I strongly consider corking these bottles? I don't have the means to do so right now, but if I should need to, I ought to get on the ball with that soon...

Also, I figure it ought to be about 9% ABV, if that helps.

Thanks!
-Pete

You can bottle with regular caps, just be sure to use bottles that can take the heavy carbonation. I make sure to save all of the heavy Belgian bottles I can just for beers that want 3+ volumes CO2. You shouldn't need to add yeast at this point but it won't hurt anything to do so for peace of mind. I have a golden strong that's been in secondary since like October, I will reyeast that one but I doubt I actually have to.

You don't need to add yeast. It will carb up ust fine. It has not been that long.

Depending on the carb level you want. That will determine how you bottle it. If you go less than 3 vols, regular bottles and caps are fine. Going much above that then you will need heavier bottles. They do make heavy bottles that take caps or heavy bottles that are corked. Since I am assuming you do not have a corker, look for the heavy bottles that take caps.

I like these a lot for high carbed brews.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...75-ml-belgian-style-beer-bottles-crown-finish

I've read the 'Westvleteren 12 Clone - Multiple Award Winner" by CSI' thread, tons of great info on there about strong belgians. I just bottled my quad, and I added a bit of fresh westmalle yeast when I did so. Most of the original yeast had dropped out after an extended secondary so I think it was needed.

I agree that you need no more yeast. I'd stay right below 3 volumes and just use regular bottles, then give it plenty of time to carbonate. I've had Tripels, slightly stronger than yours, take 6-8 weeks to carbonate at 72 degrees F.

I only re-yeast if it has been in the fermenter for over 6 months, and even then I'm not sure it needs it.

I have many beers that go 8+ weeks, with no carb issues. I only hurry hoppy beers.

I only re-yeast if it has been in the fermenter for over 6 months, and even then I'm not sure it needs it.

I have many beers that go 8+ weeks, with no carb issues. I only hurry hoppy beers.

It is my understanding that it takes longer to bottle-carb high ABV beers. What about a high ABV IPA? They are better when fresh, but they need the extra time to carb & condition, right?

I ask only because my next brew is going to be an IPA in the 7% to 7-1/2% ABV range.

It is my understanding that it takes longer to bottle-carb high ABV beers. What about a high ABV IPA? They are better when fresh, but they need the extra time to carb & condition, right?

I ask only because my next brew is going to be an IPA in the 7% to 7-1/2% ABV range.

Most people don't leave IPAs in the fermenter too long, so there will be plenty of yeast.

The time to worry with high abv beers is when you are getting close to the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. For most yeasts that would be when you are getting above 10%. In those cases, you should think about bottling with a higher alcohol tolerant yeast.

*GULP* Does that mean I need to worry about my ~12% ABV barleywine since I used US-05?

*EDIT* Pardons for getting this off-topic so quickly... maybe PM me, Calder?

*GULP* Does that mean I need to worry about my ~12% ABV barleywine since I used US-05?

*EDIT* Pardons for getting this off-topic so quickly... maybe PM me, Calder?

You may be OK, or you may not. I think I'd toss a quarter to half pack of champagne yeast in the bottling bucket to make sure. It is cheap and will only work on the priming sugar

Heh - I found this online:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

It says that I am fine with what I have, since I am making a 2.5 gallon batch, but it did say to use the whole 11.5G packet of yeast.

Still... champagne yeast is cheap... hmm... maybe better safe than sorry!

No need to worry about going off-topic, I'm learning from this info as well!

So the general consensus is that I don't have to worry about adding extra yeast, or corking. Awesome! I didn't want to have to worry about that! Well, at least not yet, anyway... I'd like to get into that someday down the road. Just not right now... This batch fell under the radar with multiple household projects springing up. This was also my first attempt at harvesting the yeast from primary. Had I not labelled the jars with the date, I would have completely forgot when I racked to the 2ndary!

Thanks for the info, everybody! I appreciate it!

Right on,
Pete

Back